History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Home Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8007 / 51°48'2"N

Longitude: -0.5497 / 0°32'58"W

OS Eastings: 500102

OS Northings: 212330

OS Grid: TL001123

Mapcode National: GBR F4S.5TL

Mapcode Global: VHFRR.FZ8Z

Entry Name: Home Farm House

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100394

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157733

Location: Little Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Little Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Gaddesden

Listing Text

LITTLE GADDESDEN LITTLE GADDESDEN
TL 01 SW (East side)

2/202 Home Farm House
-

GV II

Farmhouse, now a private house, C17 or earlier, hipped central clock
tower c.1804 probably by Jeffry Wyatt, 2 crosswings demolished and brick
casing 1877 for Lord Brownlow, subsequent extensions to rear and S end
in 5 stages. Plum brick casing to timber frame with lighter red brick
arches and clock tower (top stage stucco with circular dial) and steep
pitched roofs now slated. A 2-storeys and cellar house facing W with
2-cells, central entrance, end-chimneys plan and parallel C19 rear
range, adapted from a larger house in 1877. 2 windows to each floor
and 6-panel door in base of central clock tower. Large early C18 red
and black brick chequered chimney stack with corner pilasters at N end,
1877 copy at S end, and old bell cupola in centre with ogee roof,
arcaded sides and wind vane. 2 storey gabled bay window on left of door
with 4-light casements and weatherboarded gable. 3-light wooden
casements on RH and single-storey extension set back to S. The roof
sweeps in a curve down to the front eaves where the eaves have been
raised without altering the roof structure internally. A painting by
J.H.Buckingham c.1820 (Herts Countryside Nov.1976 p.30) shows the
present house with higher 2-storeys and attics crosswings at each end,
a buttressed entrance porch at the N end of the central range in line
with the present C18 chimney, and the front eaves in line with the base
of the stucco top stage of the clock tower. The cupola and bells is on
the roof and there is a broken chimney in the position of the present
S chimney. The clock is marked John Thwaites London 1804 like the
Ashridge tower clock. The farm was the home farm to the Ashridge
estate. (Senar(1983)105-6).


Listing NGR: TL0010212330

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.