History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sharlowes Farm House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flaunden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6975 / 51°41'50"N

Longitude: -0.532 / 0°31'55"W

OS Eastings: 501555

OS Northings: 200878

OS Grid: TL015008

Mapcode National: GBR G79.JBP

Mapcode Global: VHFSB.QLML

Entry Name: Sharlowes Farm House

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 2 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157636

Location: Flaunden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Flaunden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Flaunden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sarratt

Listing Text

FLAUNDEN FLAUNDEN
TL 0100 (North side)

11/109 Sharlowes Farm House
26.1.67 (formerly listed as Sharlowes
farmhouse)

GV II*

Farmhouse, now a private house. Circa 1500 open hall house with 2 cross
wings, E parlour wing rebuilt later C16, mid C17 floor and chimney
inserted in hall, brick casing in later C18 ('1768' cut into front of
hall range), W wing cased and extended to rear in C19, S room of E wing
extended to E and rear part of E wall rebuilt in C20. Timber frame cased
in red brick, with diaper pattern in blue headers to hall range. Steep
old red tile roofs. A U-plan medieval house facing S with a 1½ storeys
former open hall flanked by 2-storeys gabled wings projecting to rear.
Set back from road. S front has 3 windows and entrance at lower (W) end
of hall range into wide S cross-passage with former axially divided
service rooms in 2-bays opening on W, and C19 replacement of stair
inserted with C17 chimney backing onto cross-passage. 3-light C18
casement windows with small rectangular leaded panes and iron opening
frames, and segmental brick arches. Gabled dormer rises through eaves
in middle. Small 2-light leaded casement window over door. C18 doorway
with flat hood reset in C20 lean-to porch with 6-panel door. Large
external red brick chimney at W end. Small brick extension at E end
with French doors. Interior preserves frame of an open hall of 2
unequal bays, smoke blackened most in W bay, with a chamfered arched-
braced-collar central truss to clasped-purlin roof with arched wind-
braces. Wide cross-passage to W with 2 doors into 2-bays, 2 storeys W
service cross-wing. This has jowled posts, clasped-purlin roof, curved
wind-braces, cambered tie-beam on curved braces, collar and king-strut
trusses, and wide spaced storey-height studs in walls. E parlour
cross-wing has lower floor and ceiling levels and heavy 3-bays timber
frame exposed externally to E and NE. Jowled posts, cambered tie-beams,
straight tension braces, clasped-purlin roof with curved wind-braces.
The wing is divided into 2 rooms on each floor with a cellar under the
N end. Fragments of wall painting in both 1st floor rooms (N room
monochrome allegorical figure and frieze inscription: S room less
elaborate (E Clive Rouse suggests 1575 - 1590 for paintings (RCHM
Typescript)). Insertion of floor in hall and chimney with new stair
behind replacing separate stairs in each wing is dateable to mid C17
by stepped cyma stop to deep chamfered beam in hall. Brick chimneys
serving the E crosswing probably date from its rebuilding. W external
chimney of C17 or early C18 and presumably predates the mid C18
panelled room created in the SW room which has a pointed arched
recessed cupboard with shaped shelves set in the old chimney,moulded
dado rail and ovolo moulded panelling. A good late C17 bolection
moulded firesurround re-used in N extension to W wing. Folding ovolo
moulded panelled shutters inside window in hall. E wing front room
has grooves for vertically sliding internal shutters to be stored below
cill level of 3-light C18 casement window. Rear upper room of E wing has
C18 moulded plaster ceiling cornice and 2-panes raised and fielded door.
(Pevsner(1977)143: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL0155100876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.