History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Chipperfield, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7029 / 51°42'10"N

Longitude: -0.4917 / 0°29'30"W

OS Eastings: 504326

OS Northings: 201541

OS Grid: TL043015

Mapcode National: GBR G7C.2JF

Mapcode Global: VHFSC.FGFD

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157590

Location: Chipperfield, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Chipperfield

Built-Up Area: Chipperfield (Dacorum)

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chipperfield

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sarratt

Listing Text

CHIPPERFIELD THE COMMON
TL 0401 (North side)

12/63 Church of St. Paul
-

GV II

Church. 1837 by Thomas Talbot Bury, sanctuary N porch and NW vestry 1889.
Uncoursed flint with stone dressings to porch, vestry and sanctuary but
stucco elsewhere and steep slate roofs. An austere lancet style
cruciform church with chancel, transepts, nave, N porch and NW vestry. W
gable carried up as bell turret with cruciform coping. The liturgical
'East' is at the West end. The N transept is occupied by a large
panelled organ with a vestry under. A fine undivided interior with tall
single lancet windows (triple to E, N and S gables) with an open timber
roof with scissor-braced principals, 2 purlins, and the cross-wing
daringly open without trusses. 5 windows long nave, one window to
chancel, and one to lower and more ornate sanctury with boarded
segmental waggon ceiling and 4-light Dec style E window beyond wide arch
in 2 chamfered orders with paired corbelled jamb-shafts. Carved oak choir
stalls, octagonal stone pulpit 1911, octagonal panelled stone font with
oak cover and green marble shafts to base 1889. Organ by Wm Hill and
Sons London 1898 formerly at Belhaven Church Glasgow and erected here
1964. Polychrome stained glass windows 1863 to Rev Henry Dennis first
incumbent in N transept and similar 1872 in E side of S transept to Rev
W Vincent. Sober pine pews and York stone floor. Arcaded low wooden
screen now separates 2 eastern bays. Fine stained glass window at E 1965
by John Hayward of Christ in a radiant vesica. Lithographs in vestry
show original simple cruciform building with entrance central in E
gable, where cill shows signs of having been lowered. (Kelly(1914)90:
Pevsner (1977)128).


Listing NGR: TL0432601541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.