History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7625 / 51°45'45"N

Longitude: -0.0119 / 0°0'42"W

OS Eastings: 537297

OS Northings: 208965

OS Grid: TL372089

Mapcode National: GBR KC6.HSH

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.RY1Q

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 13 April 1961

Last Amended: 8 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157378

Location: Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, EN11

County: Hertfordshire

District: Broxbourne

Town: Broxbourne

Electoral Ward/Division: Hoddesdon North

Built-Up Area: Hoddesdon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hoddesdon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hoddesdon

Listing Text


1.
5251 HODDESDON AMWELL STREET
(west side)
Hoddesdon
Parish Church of St Paul
TL 3708NW 6a/28 13.4.61 (Formerly listed as Church of
Saint Paul under Hoddesdon)
II*


2.
1732 nave, 1864-5 chancel and chapels by J Clarke, 1888 steeple
attributed to A Blomfield. Red brick, stone dressings, machine
tile roofs. Nave has cut brick cornice, alternating sunken
panels and round-headed stone-dressed windows of 2 lights and an
oculus. Gabled W end has restored belfry, segmental-headed 2-
light window, and modern gabled porch incorporating C19 carved
stone tympanum. 3-gabled E end with stone banding, 5 and 2-light
windows with plate and bar tracery. Campanile tower on centre S
side: open and blind lancets, pyramid roof with hipped dormers,
octagonal stair turret on W with finial.

Nave interior has Doric wall pilasters on panelled plinths.
Gallery at W end with central pediment feature carried on fluted
Doric columns; rich cornice, rusticated attics at sides and
centre, coat of arms on pediment. Staircase on W wall with
triplets of balusters. Chancel and flanking chapels in early C13
French Gothic style: wagon roofs, 2-bay arcade of short columns
with leaf-carved capitals. South aisle E window by Shrigley and
Hunt; good circa 1862 aisle glass. NE glass 1880. (Pevsner
(1977) ).


Listing NGR: TL3729708965

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.