History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bishops College (Borough of Broxbourne Community Services Department, Huntingdon Suite, Ingram House, Flats 1 and 2)

A Grade II Listed Building in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7038 / 51°42'13"N

Longitude: -0.048 / 0°2'52"W

OS Eastings: 534984

OS Northings: 202369

OS Grid: TL349023

Mapcode National: GBR KCY.0PL

Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.3FZP

Entry Name: Bishops College (Borough of Broxbourne Community Services Department, Huntingdon Suite, Ingram House, Flats 1 and 2)

Listing Date: 11 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100579

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157277

Location: Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, EN8

County: Hertfordshire

District: Broxbourne

Town: Broxbourne

Electoral Ward/Division: Rosedale and Bury Green

Built-Up Area: Cheshunt

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cheshunt

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cheshunt

Listing Text

1.
5253 CHESHUNT
CHURCHGATE
(east side)
Cheshunt
Bishops College
(Borough of Broxbourne
Community Services
Department, Huntingdon
Suite, Ingram House,
Flats I and 2)
TL 3402 : 11/51
TL 3502 : 12/51 11.6.54

II GV


2.
Earlier C18 and c1810 red brick range forming front of large
1870-1 college by Lander and Bedells in yellow brick, stone and
black and white cut-brick dressings. Slate roofs. C18 4-window
parapeted block set back from road is 2 storeys. Chequered
brick, floor band. Cut bracketed door hood and architrave
surround. Flush sash windows, those on right hand with original
thick glazing bars. Taller c1810 block projects on S: 2 dummy
windows, brick modillion cornice and floor band; 1746 on
rainwater head. 1870-1 portion to rear in large L-plan. Tall
campanile bell tower at SW angle with pyramid roof and projecting
gablets on columns and gargoyles. Cusped stone and wood
ornaments. Entrance on S side surrounded by semi-circular oriel
window. Chapter-house-style building on W side with decorated
period Gothic windows and ornament. On E side a 10-window range
in Venetian Gothic Style: 2-window gabled end bays, flush stone
floor bands, black and white, cut-brick sash window arches. 1-
storey 1930's extensions on E. W elevation is 3 storeys with
6/6-pane Ground and 1st floor sash windows. (Pevsner (1977)).


Listing NGR: TL3498402369

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.