History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bewdley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3756 / 52°22'32"N

Longitude: -2.3151 / 2°18'54"W

OS Eastings: 378642

OS Northings: 275331

OS Grid: SO786753

Mapcode National: GBR 0BK.3HL

Mapcode Global: VH91S.TKF7

Entry Name: The Town Hall

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100788

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156795

Location: Bewdley, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY12

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Bewdley

Built-Up Area: Bewdley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ribbesford with Bewdley and Dowles etc

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bewdley

Listing Text


SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET (south side)

13/150 The Town Hall

22.4.50

GV II*

Town hall. 1808, probably by John Simpson of Shrewsbury, restored 1866 by
Henry Rowe of Worcester. Ashlar, with slate roof, gable end stack. Two
storeys, parapet with moulded cornice, central pediment with coat of arms
over the central bay which is slightly advanced and has two pairs of Doric
pilasters, outer corners also have single Doric pilasters; three windows:
15-pane sashes; ground: rusticated with three arches to open area; central
arch larger with segmental head, the two flanking arches have segmental
heads; all are filled by wrought iron gates, the grill over the central gate
includes the arms of Bewdley. Behind the open area is closed by a wall with
three openings with similar arches, that to left blocked, other two have half-
glazed doors. Interior: upper room forms magistrates' court with early C19
flush panelled bench across one end. (BoE, p 85; H Colvin, 1978, A Biographical
Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London, p 738; Hereford and
Worcester Record Office BA 8681/58.


Listing NGR: SO7864375331

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.