History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Mymms, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7254 / 51°43'31"N

Longitude: -0.2332 / 0°13'59"W

OS Eastings: 522127

OS Northings: 204445

OS Grid: TL221044

Mapcode National: GBR J9Z.V55

Mapcode Global: VHGPR.XW2N

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158545

Location: North Mymms, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL9

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield

Civil Parish: North Mymms

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: North Mymms

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
London Colney

Listing Text

North Mymms
TL 20 SW NORTH MYMMS TOLLGATE ROAD
(south side)

11/281 Church of St Mary
the Virgin
30.3.66

GV II*


Church. Mostly C14; upper parts of W tower mid C15. S Porch and
Vestry added c.1860 when the whole church was restored. Rubble
and flint walls. Stone dressings. Machine tile roofs. W tower
has diagonal buttresses. C14 arched door in 2 orders with
foliage capitals and squares. 3-light contemporary window above;
those of 3rd and 4th stages in 1 and 2 lights of c.1440-50. N
aisle has 3-light Decorated style windows. N chapel added 1328-
9. Circa 1970 N extension joins N aisle. Restored chancel walls
and E window. Nave has 3 arcade arches on octagonal piers.
Triple chamfered chancel arch with traces of intended crossing
tower and transept arches. Good monuments. N chancel wall:
c.1360 brass of priest, probably Flemish; 3 brasses on S wall
of C15 and C16. Large standing monument on N side of chancel
next to altar to John Lord Somers (d. 1716) by P Scheemakers:
marble door at foot leading to vestry, life-size figure of
Justice above against a white obelisk. N nave aisle has wall
monuments of C18: corner monument to George Jarvis (d. 1716) with
demi figure in niche tabernacle; to Lydia Mews (d. 1751): panel
with fluted pilasters. Against N wall of nave aisle is C16 chest
tomb with figure on top panel in inlaid lead outline. Nearby
1795 monument to J Hickson by J Bacon. Oak hexagonal C16 pulpit
with shallow carved panels. (Pevsner (1977)).


Listing NGR: TL2212704445

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.