This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6625 / 51°39'45"N
Longitude: -0.392 / 0°23'31"W
OS Eastings: 511317
OS Northings: 197194
OS Grid: TQ113971
Mapcode National: GBR 47.V5R
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.5G4W
Entry Name: Chapel of Former London Orphan Asylum
Listing Date: 7 January 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158204
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD24
Electoral Ward/Division: Tudor
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford St John
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NW 4/22
Chapel of former London Orphan Asylum
1871 by Henry Dawson. Polychrome brick Gothic chapel with stone dressings. Four and a half bay nave, transepts and chancel with 3-sided apse. Plain lancet windows and small roses in transept gables. Ornate west front with clasping buttresses alternately brick and stone finishing in octagonal stone pinnacles. Brick main gable wall with stone niche and finial at apex, large stone plate-traceried rose set back in Gothic arch with polychrome brick voussoirs and stone side shafts. Hood mould over and string at base of recess and at springing level. Slightly projected gabled porch with stone shoulders, coping and apex. Polychrome brick arch with side shafts. Within, chancel not visible below windows. Original stained glass survives. Vehicle entrance broken through nave wall on west side.
Listing NGR: TQ1131797194
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings