History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sikh Community Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Watford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6531 / 51°39'11"N

Longitude: -0.3968 / 0°23'48"W

OS Eastings: 511004

OS Northings: 196140

OS Grid: TQ110961

Mapcode National: GBR 48.DN7

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.2QK3

Entry Name: Sikh Community Centre

Listing Date: 7 December 1992

Last Amended: 17 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158223

Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

Town: Watford

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Watford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

TQ 1096 SE & TQ 1196 SW LADY'S CLOSE

9/10000 Watford County
Court House


- II

Former County Court house. Circa 1858. Red brick facades in Flemish bond
and dressings of blue brick and Portland stone; side and rear
elevations stock brick. Roofs concealed by parapets. Red brick
stacks. Plan: Front range contains entrances, offices and main
stairs, with courtroom behind at centre and judge's chamber and
court clerk's room at back. Cells now in side entrance block to
south facing King Close. Classical style. Exterior: 2 storeys.
Symmetrical 1:2:1:2:1 bay west front to Lady's Close, centre and
end bays break forward. Stone modillion cornice and blocking
course and moulded stone band and plinth moulding. Ground floor
round arch windows and doorways with blue brick dressings, stone
voussoirs and imposts, the doorways in centre and end bays with
panelled pilasters and carved capitals and semi-circular
fanlights; panelled doors on right, the other doors blocked; sash
windows with margin panes on ground floor. First floor 12-pane
sashes in moulded brick architraves with small keystones and
stone cills, centre in moulded stone eared architrave with
panelled apron. Entrance block to King Close; 1 storey 3 bays,
central doorway similar to those at front, flanked by large round
arch windows with 2 stone arch lights with central colonette and
large keystones rising into brick dentilled stone cornice above
with blocking course and large Royal Arms at centre. Interior:
Courtroom has walls with large blind arcade, panelled doors with
moulded architraves and lantern concealed by C20 suspended
ceiling. Open-well main staircase with stick balusters and
mahogany handrail. Secondary stairs with wreathed handrail.
Jurors' room at front on first floor with console brackets
supporting ceiling beams.

Listing NGR: TQ1100496140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.