History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Watford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6664 / 51°39'58"N

Longitude: -0.4009 / 0°24'3"W

OS Eastings: 510689

OS Northings: 197609

OS Grid: TQ106976

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.RLY

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.0CDX

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 7 January 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158138

Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

Town: Watford

Electoral Ward/Division: Nascot

Built-Up Area: Watford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

1.
5259 CHURCH ROAD

TQ 19 NW 4/18 Church of St Andrew

II

2.
1853-7 by S S Teulon. South aisle 1865, North aisle 1871. Flint and stone
Decorated Gothic church with North East tower, nave with gabled aisles and chancel
with organ loft. and vestry. Plain tile roofs, fish-scale banded. 81' North East
tower with paired traceried bell openings, angle-pinnacles and recessed octagonal
lead cap. Five bay nave, 3 bay chancel with 2 elaborately carved windows each side.
Five light East window. East end vestries and organ. South aisle with South West
porch, transeptal gable, South East porch and at East end narrow lancet with, above,
window of 3 grouped trefoils in moulded surround. Diagonal buttresses.
Open timber roofs, arch braces on corbels. Octagonal and round piers, naturalistic
foliage carving to caps of 2 Eastern piers and chancel arch. North aisle blocked
off and modern ceiling. East end arcading and carved stone 'Last Supper' reredos.
East window stained glass 1866 by Hughes, good stained glass in South aisle,
South East window circa 1865 richly coloured, South West window with 9 Flemish
C17 style roundels.

Building News 1857 931


Listing NGR: TQ1068997609

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.