This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.654 / 51°39'14"N
Longitude: -0.3966 / 0°23'47"W
OS Eastings: 511017
OS Northings: 196240
OS Grid: TQ110962
Mapcode National: GBR 48.DP0
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.2PPD
Entry Name: Bedford and Essex Almshouses
Listing Date: 26 August 1952
Last Amended: 7 January 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158141
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 1196 SW
Bedford and Essex Almshouses
(No 1 to 8 consec)
Formerly listed as The Lord Essex Almshouses
1580 row of 8 almshouse cottages. Rendered, one storey and attic. Plain tile roofs with 4 massive paired brick chimney stacks. Regular front of 3 big gables and 2 smaller end gables. Overhanging eaves. Wood mullioned windows, 4-light in large gables, 2-light in end gables and ground floor. Simply moulded door openings, paired in central 3 sections. Queen strut roof trusses with straight bracing. Built by Francis, 2nd Earl of Bedford to house 8 poor women from Watford, Chenies and Langley.
Listing NGR: TQ1101796240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings