This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.655 / 51°39'17"N
Longitude: -0.409 / 0°24'32"W
OS Eastings: 510157
OS Northings: 196331
OS Grid: TQ101963
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.9LG
Mapcode Global: VHFSL.VNNN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 7 January 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158159
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18
Electoral Ward/Division: Vicarage
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NW 4/24
Church of St Michael
1911-13 and 1926 by F B Bond. Free Gothic of C16 type. Flint with Bath stone dressings and slate roofs. Long nave and aisles with lean-to western narthex porch, 1911-13. Crossing tower, chancel north-east chapel and south transept/organ loft 1926. Flint fading not applied to tower and transept yet. Elaborate west front with stone bands and dressings. Main west window broad 2-centred arch with 5-light traceried window with traceried stone outer panels. Large stone mullions marking central 3 lights carried up to coped gable. Square corner buttresses to which spring stone flying buttresses, one diagonally from angle of narthex and aisle and one parallel to west front. Narthex with crenellated parapet and projected centre with big moulded arch and 3 stone framed niches above, central one at apex of coped gable. Three-sided projection at south-west corner for baptistery. Six bay nave with 3-light aisle windows and paired clerestory windows, square heads, cusped. Chamfered nave piers, moulded arches above die into piers. Arched braced ceiled roof springing from corbels over piers and at apex of arches. Transverse aisle arches. Stone rear arches to aisle and clerestory windows. Wide moulded tower arches with west rood beam. Apsidal east end to north-east chapel and two 3-light north windows. Chancel east end traceried with glazing to vesica shaped light only. Large organ gallery to south side, later C19 wooden Gothic organ front. Large wooden Gothic altar and reredos carved, with painted panels.
Listing NGR: TQ1015796331
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings