History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Watford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6455 / 51°38'43"N

Longitude: -0.3862 / 0°23'10"W

OS Eastings: 511755

OS Northings: 195311

OS Grid: TQ117953

Mapcode National: GBR 48.WVV

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.8W5Y

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 7 January 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101130

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158160

Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD19

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

Town: Watford

Electoral Ward/Division: Oxhey

Built-Up Area: Watford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxhey St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

TQ 19 NW 4/29
5259

EASTBURY ROAD, North Oxhey
Church of St Matthew

II

1880 by W H Syme of Watford. Red brick Gothic church with north-west tower and spire. Nave and aisles, chancel with 5 sided apse, small north and south transepts. Plain tile roofs. Lancet windows, single in aisles, double in clerestory and triple in transepts. Long single lights to apse. Moulded brick hood-moulds and strings. Some pressed brick ornament. Tower with 2 light bell-openings and broach spire above, brick with 3 stone bands. Open timber roofs, principal arch braces carried on wall-shafts in nave, similar shafts to brick chancel arch. Boarded chancel roof. Pressed brick frieze below clerestory. Early C20 carved oak pulpit lectern, screen (now at west end) and altar rails. In north aisle is original elaborate painted wood reredos circa 1880-90 by J E K Cutts, moved from chancel. In south transept luminous stained glass circa 1916 by Carl Parsons.
Builder 29.5.1880.


Listing NGR: TQ1175595311

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.