History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Martins

A Grade II Listed Building in Nettleden with Potten End, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7685 / 51°46'6"N

Longitude: -0.5279 / 0°31'40"W

OS Eastings: 501674

OS Northings: 208778

OS Grid: TL016087

Mapcode National: GBR G6J.5BB

Mapcode Global: VHFRY.STR5

Entry Name: Martins

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157986

Location: Nettleden with Potten End, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Nettleden with Potten End

Built-Up Area: Potten End

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Potten End Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Berkhamsted

Listing Text

TL 00 NW NETTLEDEN WITH THE GREEN
POTTEN END (South side)
Potten End

5/205 Martins
-

- II


House. Later C16; hall floored and SW wing added early C17; stair hall,
rear parlour and chamber over probably in stages in mid C19 (for John
Edward Lane (1808-1889) who is recorded as making alterations in 1839
when he first leased the house and more extensive works in 1853 when he
added porches, roughcast the whole building and replaced old leaded
casements by sash windows); C20 lower E end extension. Timber frame on
black stucco plinth, rendered and lined as ashlar, Victorian rear part
of red brick similarly rendered. Steep old red tile roofs with half-hip
at W end. A 2-storeys house facing N, set back from road, formerly
facing onto common. 4 upper windows, 3 ground floor windows and one in
lean-to enclosed porch. Flush Yorkshire sliding casements with small
panes, but casements to left of porch. W gable end has 2 flush 2-light
casements to 1st floor and 3-light Yorkshire sliding casement to ground
floor. 2-storeys, one-bay SW wing has lower floor level, triple casement
to 1st floor on W side with a 5-light Yorkshire sliding casement below.
Its S gable end has 2-light Yorkshire sliding casement to 1st floor and
3-light below. Original ceiling beam suggests this wing had a garret in
the roof. Taller C19 gabled rear wing projects further, with gabled
porch, 2 flush sash windows to 1st floor with 8/8 panes, similar to
right of porch protecting a half-glazed panelled door. One sash window
to each floor on E flank of C19 wing. C20 E extension has 2-storeys on N
front but runs down to 1½ storeys at rear with a gabled dormer above the
French doors. Interior has exposed timber frame and floor beams of a
3-bays house with full-height structural partitions defining a central
hall-bay presumably open to the roof until a floor was inserted carried
on an axial beam with ovolo moulding and bar-stops dateable to c.1620.
The end-bays have chamfered axial beams with hollow stops and squared
joists are exposed in W bay. Jowled posts, straight braces, straight
tension braces in rear wall, squint-butted scarf joints in wallplates,
wide-spaced wall-studs, curved tension braces in partition walls.
Clasped-purlin roof with straight and curved wind-braces, collar and
queen-strut trusses. Ovolo moulded axial beam on 1st floor of SW wing
similar to that in hall but with hollow stops. A cross-passage is
partitioned from the E end of the hall bay but this arrangement may date
only from C19. Internal chimney between W and middle bay: rear lateral
chimney to E bay: chimney at junction of SW wing with main house. The
house was owned by the Ewar family in a survey of 1607, changed hands to
Howe family in 1669, formed part, of the bequest forming the Balshaw
Charity in 1782 and was sold to the Ashridge Estate in 1863. A plant and
tree nursery business was started in 1858 by John Edward Lane who was
already living in the house, and this became the celebrated Balshaw
Nurseries of Potten End. (Bryant (1982) III 2, VI 5).


Listing NGR: TL0167408778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.