History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

64, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Markyate, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8361 / 51°50'10"N

Longitude: -0.4609 / 0°27'39"W

OS Eastings: 506144

OS Northings: 216401

OS Grid: TL061164

Mapcode National: GBR G5N.Y0C

Mapcode Global: VHFRS.Y3QR

Entry Name: 64, High Street

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157953

Location: Markyate, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Markyate

Built-Up Area: Markyate

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Markyate Street St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Markyate

Listing Text

MARKYATE HIGH STREET
TL 0616
(West side)
8/174 No. 64
26.1.67

GV II

Inn, now a private house. Late C16, fragmentary wallpaintings c,1600,
internal alterations and insertion of attic floor in C18, refronted
c.1820. Timber frame on high red brick sill, infilled with red brick on
ground floor, exposed with painted or plastered brick panels on 1st
floor at rear and in rear wing. Dark weatherboarded gable triangle to
rear wing. Front wall and parapet stuccoed with deep chanelled
rustication. Steep old red tile roofs. A large, L-plan, 2-storeys,
cellar and former attics block, facing E, with carriageway through N end
of front range, and formerly a stair turret in the angle of the wings.
Stucco E front symmetrical about projecting bay with door in
round-headed doorway up 4 steps and small round-headed window over. 2
sash windows with plate glass on each floor on each side of centre.
Rear has high red brick sill supporting timber frame with bay-posts
exposed to full height. Red brick infill panels on ground floor, painted
brick infill to 1st floor between storey-height studs. Similar 2-bays,
2-storeys rear wing with exposed timbers on both side-walls and tilehung
W gable triangle. Single-storey W extension at end. Weatherboarded
infill to gable at roof level on front range where the full-height
original stair tower has been reduced to a single-storey rear porch with
access to cellar through floor flap. Casement windows generally, with a
2-light ovolo moulded casement on upper floor of rear wing. Interior
shows front range to have 4 structural bays, the north bay occupied by
the carriageway with a large C17 chimney backing onto it. This serves a
large ground floor room with sophisticated early C17 classical
Totternhoe stone fireplace with rectangular plaster conical hood,
tapering stone pilasters full entablature, moulded shelf, and centre
block, ovolo moulded cross-beam and one square surviving of a complete
scheme of wall paintings. Traces on 2 other walls. The panel has a fawn
or satyr amid unusually free, large-scale scrolling with classical
foliage and grotesques. Traces of frieze carried onto beam and design
continued over timber studs. Black on white with yellow/green
background, formerly limewashed over. Late C16 style (report by E Clive
Rouse in RCHM records). There is similar wallpainting in situ on the
central stud of N end wall in attic with stylised foliage in black on
white with border and yellow flowers. Similar painted timbers said to be
re-used as floor joists to attic now concealed, which was probably
inserted in C18. Below the painted panel on ground floor is a small
diamond-mullioned 3-light oak window intended as a borrowed light for
the former cellar stair. There is an C18 arched opening to the former
stair on rear wall in-line with now blocked front door to street. The S
front room has an ovolo-moulded crossbeam supporting the chamfered axial
beams which run through this range, and a corner fireplace to the C18
chimney inserted in the SE corner. The 4-bays roof of the front range
seems to continue to N into No. 62. Clasped-purlin, collar and tie-beam
trusses, and long curved wind-braces. The 2-bays rear wing a kitchen and
service wing with large internal chimney emerging to S of roof ridge.
Stack appears to have replaced a timber framed original jointed to
framed S wall. N jamb a re-used ceiling beam. Jowled posts, long curved
braces to tie-beam, and straight braces to wall-plates. These have a
junction just beyond the chimney suggesting the W end an extension, C18
iron grate on 1st floor and 2-panel ovolo moulded doors with H hinges.
Main stair said to have been moved in 1940 to Woodhill Park House
nearby. Inn said to have had The Swan as its name. " '


Listing NGR: TL0614416401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.