History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Bridge at Water End over the River Gade

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7818 / 51°46'54"N

Longitude: -0.4934 / 0°29'36"W

OS Eastings: 504025

OS Northings: 210315

OS Grid: TL040103

Mapcode National: GBR G6D.82G

Mapcode Global: VHFRZ.DGHW

Entry Name: South Bridge at Water End over the River Gade

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101225

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157886

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP1

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hemel Hempstead

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD(A4146)
TL 0l SW
Water End
3/107 South Bridge at Water End
22.10.52 over the River Gade (Formerly
listed as Two Bridges over
GV River Gade)
II

Road bridge over River Gade. Circa 1800 when road realigned (Branch
Johnson (1970)113), widened on E side 1976 by Herts County Council. Red
brick in English-bond with stone dressings. A humped bridge in medieval
style of 3 pointed arches each of 20ft span with 4 stone-capped
cutwaters linked by a moulded string course. Deep-chamfered brick rib to
soffit a little inside front arch. Chamfered stone dressing to plinths
from which arches spring, linked by weir under bridge and marking water
level on reconstructed upstream face. Moulded stone cappings to brick
parapets splayed at ends and terminated by octagonal brick piers.
(Branch Johnson (1970): ex inf County Surveyor's Dept)


Listing NGR: TL0402510315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.