History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Bridge on A4146 at Water End over the River Gade

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7839 / 51°47'2"N

Longitude: -0.4988 / 0°29'55"W

OS Eastings: 503652

OS Northings: 210538

OS Grid: TL036105

Mapcode National: GBR G6D.0QL

Mapcode Global: VHFRZ.9FP9

Entry Name: North Bridge on A4146 at Water End over the River Gade

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157909

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP1

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Gaddesden

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD (A4146)
TL 0310
10/130 North Bridge on A4146
22.10.52 at Water End over the
River Gade (Formerly listed as
Two bridges over River Gade)
GV
II

Road bridge over River Gade. Circa 1800 when road realigned (Branch
Johnson (1970) 113), restored and parapet raised 2 courses 1976 by Herts
County Council. Red brick with random black headers in English-bond with
stone string courses and copings to parapet. A long narrow bridge,
slightly humped to centre, of 3 pointed arches, 4 brick cutwaters, and
brick parapets splaying out at ends and terminating in octagonal brick
piers. The bridge has not been widened and differs from the widened
South Bridge (q.v.) in having brick cappings to the cutwaters and having
its moulded stone string at road level extended along the abutment walls
to the terminal piers. It also has 3 moulded circular cast iron tie-rod
plates over each arch. There is a chamfered brick rib just within the
mouth of each arch. A chamfered stone offset to the plinth provides the
springing for the arches. Plinths linked by a weir near the upstream
side where water level is just below this stone offset. (Branch Johnson
(1970): inf County Surveyor's Dept).


Listing NGR: TL0365210538

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.