History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White House

A Grade II Listed Building in Flamstead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8186 / 51°49'6"N

Longitude: -0.4698 / 0°28'11"W

OS Eastings: 505569

OS Northings: 214436

OS Grid: TL055144

Mapcode National: GBR G5V.VDK

Mapcode Global: VHFRS.TK07

Entry Name: The White House

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101250

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157841

Location: Flamstead, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Flamstead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Flamstead

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Markyate

Listing Text

FLAMSTEAD VALLEY LANE
TL 01 SE
(South side)
4/61 The White House
-
- II

House, now 2 houses. Circa 1740 for Beechwood Estate (Unusual eaves
cornice also at Hill Farm nearby q.v.), SW wing and converted to 2
houses in early C19, one house in early C20, divided in later C20. Red
brick in English-bond with some black headers, painted externally,
weatherboarded timber-frame rear outshut with brick walled bakehouse.
Painted brick rear wing has brick-on-edge to 1st floor. Timber frame
gable triangles with exposed timbers. Steep old red tile roofs. A
2-storeys, 4 windows long house facing N with lower 2-storeys SE rear
wing with gable chimney, lean-to outshut to rear, and porch in SE angle
with rear wing. A 4-bays, internal chimney, lobby-entry plan house.
Projecting gable chimneys and staircases beside them, probably introduced
for C19 division when a large bread oven was probably built to rear of
central chimney where the original stair may have risen. Symmetrical N
front has plinth and ovolo moulded eaves course with projecting headers.
4 windows to each floor and recess over central door. 3-light casement
windows and segmental arches to ground floor. Plank door in heavy frame
with tiled gabled rustic porch. At rear oven chimney central outside rear
wall in plum brick. Clasped-purlin roof with collar and tie-beam trusses
and straight wind-braces at gable ends. Wider bays flank narrow chimney
bay in middle, end bays shorter. Fire surround c.1815 with fret front
cast iron grate. Separate rainwater and drinking water wells at rear.
House marked Valley Lane Cottage on map.


Listing NGR: TL0556914436

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.