History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gaddesden Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7888 / 51°47'19"N

Longitude: -0.4961 / 0°29'45"W

OS Eastings: 503824

OS Northings: 211083

OS Grid: TL038110

Mapcode National: GBR G66.TMJ

Mapcode Global: VHFRZ.C92K

Entry Name: Gaddesden Place

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157848

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP2

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Gaddesden

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN BRIDENS CAMP
TL 01 SW
(West side)
3/67 Gaddesden Place
22.10.52

GV II*

Country house, now in part domestic, part commercial use. 'Bilt Ju.1768
for Tho Halsey Eqr', inscribed on plaster in NE ground floor room.
Occupied 1774. Traditionally by James Wyatt (and if so, is his earliest
dated work). Conservatory 1881. House gutted by fire Feb 1905, rebuilt
1908 by Cole A. Adams for Halsey family, within old shell. N pavilion
and quadrant link demolished in 1955 when clock moved to parish church
and 2 fireplaces to The Golden Parsonage, q.v. S pavilion and E wall of
quadrant link demolished c.1963 also for dry rot. Totternhoe stone
ashlar, dressings renewed in C20 in Bath stone, podium in Roman Cement
lined as ashlar on red brick. Hipped slate roof behind parapet. A large
Palliadian symmetrical villa set on the hillslope commanding the Gade
Valley to the W. 5 windows wide, 4 at ends, 2-storeys, attic and
basement. Entered from E at ground floor level by central C19 porte
couchere. The base-storey survives of quadrant corridors and 2 former
pavilions to NE and SE. A terastyle Ionic full height portico fronts
the 3 middle bays of W front with triangular pediment and 16 stone
steps. The dentilled cornice runs all round the block with parapet and
balustraded panels above windows. The balustrade is said to have
replaced the original blocking course in the 1908 restoration. 1881
conservatory against convex W face of SE quadrant corridor has dentilled
entablature breaking forward over Composite order columns with urns over
and transomed tall 2-light windows between. Moulded stone shouldered
architrave surrounds to windows on E and W fronts, the ground floor
windows emphasised with trusses and cornice. Plate glass sashes. The
pavilions were originally of 2-storeys and basement, facing E, 3 windows
wide, with projecting central bay on E and W with Venetian window and
pediment over. The interior retains the original symmetrical disposition
of spaces but the classical interiors are of 1908 except for an original
6-panel mahogany door in the drawing room E wall with enriched mouldings
and commemorative brass plate on leading edge. A fire surround with
Wedgewood plaques, similar to one at The Golden Parsonage, has an
inscribed plate dating its installation to after the fire. Entrance from
E is by double doors in stone doorcase into a square outer hall with
black and white marble chequered floor, fan-design plaster ceiling, and
doors on 3 sides. That on LH leads into panelled library with dark wood
bookcases around and fireplace on W wall. On RH are service rooms
leading to nursery at NE corner. Straight ahead is the central inner
hall with panelling to lower part of walls, oval open centre to ceiling
of double-height space with fluted Ionic columns supporting a domed oval
rooflight. Wide balustraded wooden staircase rises beside S and W walls
to arcaded 1st floor in obtrusive asymmetrical form - the original
staircase presumably rose in the compartment of the plan to S of central
hall which was appropriated to bathrooms and plumbing in 1908. Service
stair to N of hall. A large saloon occupies the middle 3 bays of the W
front behind the portico with drawing room to S and dining room to N.
6-panel mahogany moulded doors generally, moulded cornices, skirtings,
doorcases, and appropriate fire surrounds. Columned screen introduced at
W end of drawing room. Groin-vaulted servants' hall in basement. (VCH
(1908)201: Cussans III (1879) 121: Kelly (1914)103: Pevsner (1977)152:
RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL0382411083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.