History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Golden Parsonge and Garden Walls Attached on North-East

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8016 / 51°48'5"N

Longitude: -0.4777 / 0°28'39"W

OS Eastings: 505063

OS Northings: 212536

OS Grid: TL050125

Mapcode National: GBR G67.013

Mapcode Global: VHFRS.NZT8

Entry Name: The Golden Parsonge and Garden Walls Attached on North-East

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157873

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP2

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Flamstead

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN GADDESDEN ROW
TL 0l SE
(South side)
4/94 The Golden Parsonage
22.10.52 and garden walls attached
on North-East (Formerly listed as
Golden Parsonage)
GV II*

Country house and attached garden walls. 1705 date (formerly on windvane
over entrance: VCH (1908)205) for Thomas Halsey formerly adjoining older
house to SE pulled down c.1774, altered c.1760 and in early C19, NW wing
dated 1874 on terra cotta panel with crest. Garden walls C18 or earlier.
Extensive interior alterations by Waring and Gillows c.1935 (before and
after photos in NMR). Very high quality red brickwork in header bond
with gauged and moulded dressings to main house. Low pitched roofs
concealed by parapets, slate roof to 1874 block, tiled roofs to N
extensions. A large 2-storeys square block with giant order grey brick
pilasters of Roman Doric clasping each corner with corner entablature,
cornice continuous around block surmounted by a moulded parapet. Similar
pilaster in middle of 6 windows E elevation. More elaborate 5-windows S
elevation has triglyphs in parapet over each window, stepped keystones,
and brick aprons to 1st floor windows. Plainer 4 windows W front has
projecting central brick porch remodelled c.1935 and no keystones to
windows. Recessed tall segmental arched sash windows with 9/9 or 6/6
panes, with corbelled sills on E front and cut down to ground on S
front. Triple sash window replaces 2 ground floor windows on E front.
2-storeys NW wing with 2 windows to each floor copying those of house,
and half octagonal ground floor bay in middle with slate roof. Steep
roofed N extension has arcaded loggia to front and tower with blunt
pyrammidal roof. Interior and staircase in early C18 style largely
created in c.1935, but incorporates some adapted bolection moulded
panelling, some panelled doors of c.1600 with cockspur hinges, and a
fireplace with green Wedgewood plaques inset moved here from a
demolished pavillion of Gaddesden Place (q.v.) by James Wyatt. White
marble fire surround in Dining Room with Ionic pilasters, full
entablature and centre block. Roof structure of great interest showing
wide-span C18 timber engineering using 12" square oak or chestnut
timbers, king-posts, queen-posts, cross-bracing, and painted inscription
presumably by carpenter, 'Jo Grove Sept 19: 1766', on one truss. There
is an inscription beside the entrance porch outside 'SL 1766'. Extensive
service buildings linked to N. E-facing arm of tall garden walls has
near S end blocked windows on 2 storey-levels with flat gauged arches
and blocked doorways as if part of the demolished older house. The N
part of this wall has very tall, narrow, close-set, blocked windows as
if for an orangery, and the walling between has later, blocked, wider
windows of C19 character, some intersecting the older blocked windows.
(VCH (1908)204-5: Pevsner (1977)151-2: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL0506312536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.