History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Botolph

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eastwick, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7852 / 51°47'6"N

Longitude: 0.0776 / 0°4'39"E

OS Eastings: 543406

OS Northings: 211651

OS Grid: TL434116

Mapcode National: GBR LDG.2FC

Mapcode Global: VHHM6.9DDC

Entry Name: Church of St Botolph

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101264

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159886

Location: Eastwick, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM20

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Eastwick

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Gilston with Eastwick

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Roydon

Listing Text

TL 4311 EASTWICK CHURCH LANE
(south end)
Eastwick village

10/1 Church of St Botolph

24.1.67

GV II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1872-3 by A W Blomfield incorporating old
tower and C13 chancel arch (plaque in tower and signed plan at
Rectory in High Wych). Uncoursed knapped flint with limestone
dressings. Steep red tile roofs with ridge tiles alternately
plain and crested. Tall unaisled nave, chancel slightly lower,
transeptal N organ chamber off chancel, timberframed N porch, and
unbuttressed W tower. A long lancet style church following
closely the earlier church in form and style: nave buttresses
mark transeptal chapels not rebuilt (Buckler drawing of 1827 in
church: Glynn's notes of 8 May 1847 (HRO)). Refaced 3-stage
tower with C19 battlemented parapet, short pyramidal red tiled
spire, corner gargoyles. No W door, 2-light pointed plate tracery
opening with quatrefoil in head to each face of the bell-stage.
Lancet on W and N in middle stage, and 2-light W window. Each
stage narrows at a string course. Organ chamber transept lower
than chancel with triple lancets in N gable and stone circular
chimney on the ridge. Roll mouldings under the tiled verges of
gables to nave, chancel and transept. Open timber porch has
cusped bargeboards and side arcades with turned mullions. Large
decorative cast iron footscrapers flank porch. Iron gable
crosses to nave and chancel. Plastered interior. 5-bay arched
braced nave roof on corbels. Scissor-braced rafter roof with
side and central purlins. High single lancet windows. Stone
pulpit. Fine C13 moulded chancel arch with 3 Purbeck marble
shafts at each side with moulded caps and bases - 'astonishingly
ambitious ... as if for a cathedral' (Pevsner (1977) 139).
Chancel raised one step with a 3-bay boarded wagon roof,
encaustic tile floor and 3 further steps to the altar. Sedilia S
of altar, possibly reset piscina on shelf N of altar. Simple
stone reredos integral with E wall with 3 mosaic panels. Triple
lancet E window divided by dark marble shafts with annulets.
Brass rail with twisted iron standards and scrolled brackets.
Open stall fronts arcaded with turned mullions. Opening to organ
chamber on N. C13 recumbent, marble effigy of a knight with
crossed legs, on a moulded base under tower, probably Richard de
Tany d c1270 (VCH (1912) 318): the best C13 effigy in the county
(Pevsner ibid). Above this a fine wall monument'with 3
Corinthian columns to Mary Plummer d 1700. Opposite a wall
monument to Walter Plummer d 1746 with exquisite carving for
which Pevsner suggests Rysbrack (ibid). Brass to Joan Lee d
1564. The church was rebuilt in 1872-3 at the cost of the
Hodgson brothers of Gilston Park as an estate improvement, and
they are buried in the churchyard. A long austere Lancet style
church mostly rebuilt by A W Blomfield closely following the
detail and form of the C13 church, and incorporating the old
tower. Of outstanding interest for the splended C13 chancel arch
and C13 and C18 monuments of the greatest artistic importance. A
landmark and centre of the village group, its E-W elongation
echoing the length of a barn range on the other side of the road
when approaching Eastwick from the south. (EHAS Trans (1902)
122-3: RCHM (1911) 87: VCH (1912) 318: Pevsner (1977) 139).


Listing NGR: TL4340611651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.