History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lion Inn Opposite Junction with Eastwick Hall Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastwick, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7859 / 51°47'9"N

Longitude: 0.0789 / 0°4'44"E

OS Eastings: 543490

OS Northings: 211742

OS Grid: TL434117

Mapcode National: GBR LD8.W7N

Mapcode Global: VHHM6.BC2R

Entry Name: The Lion Inn Opposite Junction with Eastwick Hall Lane

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159892

Location: Eastwick, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM20

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Eastwick

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Gilston with Eastwick

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Roydon

Listing Text

TL 4311 EASTWICK EASTWICK ROAD
(east side)
Eastwick village

10/7 The Lion Inn
opposite junction with
- Eastwick Hall Lane

GV II

House, now a P H. '1852' on quatrefoil datestone. For John
Hodgson of Gilston Park to model design for middle-sized
farmhouses used on his estate, possibly designed by P C Hardwick.
Tall, red brick, 2 storeys, large, Gothic, former estate
farmhouse facing W, already an inn in 1914. Built as new
farmhouse of Green Man Farm, the farm buildings of which were
rebuilt on the site to S by the Gilston Estate at the same period
(of Eastwick Hall Farm c1855). Steep blue slate roofs,moulded
bargeboards with octagonal moulded pendants and wide verge
overhangs. Front has projecting cross wing on left hand and
double-pile range on right. Gabled, single storey, projecting
brick porch in angle, with gauged brick ogee arch over entrance,
heavy moulded bargeboard with pendant and steep slate roof. 3-
light windows under flat gauged arches, 2-light over porch.
Transomed windows on Ground floor. An impressive red brick mid
C19 Gothic estate farmhouse, little altered. Part of group of
similar contemporary estate buildings in village centre.


Listing NGR: TL4349011742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.