History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broadfield Hall Stables

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cottered, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9618 / 51°57'42"N

Longitude: -0.0737 / 0°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 532449

OS Northings: 231005

OS Grid: TL324310

Mapcode National: GBR K8M.S7K

Mapcode Global: VHGNP.NYXH

Entry Name: Broadfield Hall Stables

Listing Date: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101292

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159844

Location: Cottered, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Cottered

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cottered with Broadfield

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 33 SW COTTERED BROADFIELD
(east side)

1/1 Broadfield Hall Stables

-

GV II*

Stable block. Circa 1691 probably to designs by Nicholas
Hawksmoor (1661-1736) for James Forrester (d.1696), cupola
removed in C19. Red and grey brick 2 storeyed stable block, the
roof tiled and with one large hip and 2 small ones at the rear.
The front has a parapet, returned on the W. side, and the centre
breaks forward slightly under a small pedimented gable and
contains the central archway and a clock in the gable, there are
rusticated quoins to the angles and the centre has chequer
brickwork. The ground floor windows at each end of the front
have a circular recess above, both enclosed within an arched
recess. The building contains 3 loose boxes in the W part and a
harness room and staircase to the upper floor in the centre (the
E part has been converted to a large garagespace). Theloose
boxes, harness room and staircase have original wood door of 8
panels, double doors to the harness room. This building has
greater architectural quality than is usual for a stable building
of this size, and was complementary to the earlier house,
completed c1690 now destroyed and replaced by a 1930s
building.The stable block appears to have resulted from the
partial rebuilding of older buildings and the addition of a
formal 2-storeys facade on the S front and W end. (Colvin (1978)
402: Kerry Downes Hawksmoor (1969) 27: Hine RL Relics of an
Uncommon Attorney (1951) Ch 1).


Listing NGR: TL3244931005

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.