History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buntingford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9471 / 51°56'49"N

Longitude: -0.0193 / 0°1'9"W

OS Eastings: 536231

OS Northings: 229475

OS Grid: TL362294

Mapcode National: GBR K8W.V8D

Mapcode Global: VHGNX.MB56

Entry Name: Victoria House

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Last Amended: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159788

Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buntingford

Built-Up Area: Buntingford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET
(west side)

7/48


19.10.51 No 41, (Victoria House)
22.2.67 and No 43

GV II*


Inn, now a house (41) and a shop (43). Front range C15
incorporating earlier N crosswing, C16 NW wing, front altered in
early C18. Timber frame plastered at front, roughcast or dark
weatherboarded rear parts. Steep old red tile roofs. A large 2-
storeys U-shaped group, formerly the Angel Inn, with carriageway
entrance to yard in the centre, and early C19 stair tower added
in rear angle with jettied NW wing. Twin hollow-moulded blocked
service doors on N side of carriageway and mortices for an axial
partition in the bay to N suggest the cariageway represents the
lower bay of the hall with parlour at S end with hipped later W
extension. The front has a lower jettied and gabled crosswing at
N end with rectangular oriel window on bold brackets to 1st floor
and C19 3-light shop window and half-glazed door. More elaborate
plasterwork on the rest of the front, with a deep coved cornice
below the higher continuous front jetty, 6 foliate brackets,
rusticated quoins to Ground floor, flush box triple sash windows
with small panes flanking the carriageway, a 6-panel door (No 41)
with Gibbs surround, exaggerated triple keystone and triangular
pediment, a flush box sash window on left of door with moulded
surround and 6/6 panes in broad glazing bars. Upper part in fan
pargetting with 4 flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes, and
overhanging eaves. Crown-post roof along front range with square
posts and axial bracing to collar purlin. Remains of
wallpaintings on Ground floor of No 41 around fireplace, of 2
periods. Earlier, ones of skillfull execution and solid colour
with 2 angels holding Scrope arms on a shield and shield of the
Trinity. Figure of saint between and sunburst patterned ground.
Later work to left overlaps earlier work. Classical early C17
ornament, semi-nude shrouded figure and Roman lettered
inscription. Elaborate moulded fireplace lintol. Interior of No
43 has exposed close-studding, tension braces, and heavy flat
joists. (RCHM (1911)140 No 13: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3622229480

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.