This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.948 / 51°56'52"N
Longitude: -0.0201 / 0°1'12"W
OS Eastings: 536174
OS Northings: 229577
OS Grid: TL361295
Mapcode National: GBR K8W.V1L
Mapcode Global: VHGNX.L9RH
Entry Name: The Old Clock Tower and Number 63
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101314
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159794
Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Buntingford
Built-Up Area: Buntingford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET
19.10.51 The Old Clock Tower and
- No 63
Clockhouse over footway, and adjoining Inn, now offices.
Clockhouse said to be C16, restored in C19. Supported at N on
mid C19 Inn. Clockhouse timber framed roughcast, rear and sides
of turret weatherboarded and louvred. Old red tile roofs. A
square gabled turret with clockface framed on E face (single
hand) under a pointed louvred opening framed with square head in
apex of steep gable with frilly bargeboard surmounted by a pole
and windvane. The turret rises from the pitched roof of a
bridge-buildinghigh over the passageway with a small-paned fixed
window on E. No 63 has a high-level loft connecting with the
rear of the bridge building. Polychrome brick decoration to grey
brick inn formerly The Angel Inn. A 2 storeys, slate roofed, L-
plan building facing E. Symmetrical front with 3 upper pointed
windows linked by blind arcade, chamfered brick floor band with
name engraved in Lombardic capitals in stone inset over central
round arched door with 2 stepped orders. Flanking triple round-
arched windows with cast iron columns replacing mullions.
Chamfered plinth. Large decorative wrought iron bracket for inn
sign. Ornamental cresting to roof ridge. Grey gault brick
chimneys with grouped octagonal shafts and red brick caps and
bases. (RCHM (1911) 140 No 16).
Listing NGR: TL3617229580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings