This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9493 / 51°56'57"N
Longitude: -0.0183 / 0°1'5"W
OS Eastings: 536292
OS Northings: 229725
OS Grid: TL362297
Mapcode National: GBR K8W.N6F
Mapcode Global: VHGNX.M8PH
Entry Name: Bridewell House, (On South Corner of Little Lane)
Listing Date: 19 October 1957
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159819
Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Buntingford
Built-Up Area: Buntingford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD WYDDIAL ROAD
7/86 Bridewell House,
(on S corner of Little
(formerly listed as The Old
GV II Bridewell)
House. Said to be built in 1491, the Waggon & Horses Inn before
1700, used as bridewell up to 1843, then as 2 cottages.
Renovated 1939, W extension 1950, later S garage wing. Timber
frame on stuccoed sill, plastered with panelled pargetting.
Steep tiled roof. A 2-storeys, 4 windows long house facing E,
with central chimney and lobby entry a third from S end, and a
smaller central chimney serving the narrow N bay. Flush casement
windows of horizontal proportions with large windows on Ground
floor. Pointed head to battened door. Chimneyhead has 2 stumpy
shafts. Interior has brick open fireplace.
Listing NGR: TL3629229725
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings