History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alswick Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Buntingford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9461 / 51°56'46"N

Longitude: 0.0026 / 0°0'9"E

OS Eastings: 537741

OS Northings: 229409

OS Grid: TL377294

Mapcode National: GBR K8X.TS6

Mapcode Global: VHHLD.0B8Y

Entry Name: Alswick Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101335

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159741

Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buntingford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 32NE BUNTINGFORD HARE STREET ROAD
(south side)

4/8 Alswick Hall

19.10.51

GV II


Country house. C16 E range, early C17 main range with front
altered in early C19 and then largely rebuilt after fire in
1950s. Timber frame on brick plinth largely exposed timbers with
roughcast panels, and fan pargetting also on E wing. Steep old
red tile roofs. A large 2-storeys T-plan house with main range
facing W over brick revetted terrace above remains of moat.
Through-passage near middle, with service end to N with external
gable chimney, hall to S with rear lateral fireplace backing onto
fireplace in brewhouse in E wing. Parlour at S end with external
gable chimney. Stair tower in SE angle of wings with entrance
from hall. 2-storeys E wing on rising slope with one and a half
storeys part with 2 gabled dormer on each side. 9 windows long W
front with cross windows and leaded glazing (windows renewed),
chamfered red brick plinth, large gabled porch with double doors,
and paired tall square chimney shafts set diagonally on chimneys
at each end. Exposed framing of rear wall shows the house to
have been heightened by 1 metre. Interior had 4-centred moulded
stone fireplace in parlour, and C16 clasped-purlin roofs to E
range. Large Composite Order stone capital used as wellhead next
S end of house. (RCHM (1911) 139 No 4: VCH (1914) 80-1: RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3774129409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.