History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Layston Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Buntingford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9473 / 51°56'50"N

Longitude: -0.0187 / 0°1'7"W

OS Eastings: 536268

OS Northings: 229494

OS Grid: TL362294

Mapcode National: GBR K8W.VFH

Mapcode Global: VHGNX.MBG2

Entry Name: Layston Court

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101341

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159753

Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buntingford

Built-Up Area: Buntingford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET
(east side)

7/11 No 20
(Layston Court)
19.10.51

GV II


Grammar school and master's house, now one house. School built
1630-3 for Elizabeth Freeman of Aspenden Hall, re-endowed 1684 by
Bishop Seth Ward and Lady Jane Barkham, house early C18 added at
right angles. Used as school up to 1877, subsequently altered
and S wing added. School in red brick and English-bond with
stone windows and steep old red tile roof. House timber framed
and plastered with a hipped old red tile roof stucco S wing
extension. A large rectangular brick school building facing W
with moulded gable parapets and unusual projecting gable chimneys
with short octagonal shafts linked by a heavy capping. Chamfered
plinth and a tall, single-storey front with deep eaves band,
transomed ovolo moulded windows and a fine brick-pedimented,
rusticated, round-arched central entrance. Hollow-chamfered tie-
beams supported by curved braces from hollow-chamfered wallposts
carry the butt-purlin oak roof with collar-trusses. Scratch-
moulded panelling in N bay of 3, may indicate the original
master's accommodation specified in the 1633 Will as under one
roof with the school room for 25 boys. An attic floor was
inserted with large gabled dormer windows before 1830 (Buckler
dwg. in HRO). An early C20 lean-to porch covers the pedimented
entrance, with a bay window to the right, and the brick work of
the front plastered. The rear is less altered but the stone
transomed ovolo-moulded windows may replace plastered brick ones
noted by VCH c.1914. Early C18 master's house of 2 storeys, 4
windows wide with flush box sash windows, taller on Ground floor,
of 6/6 panes. Tall Doric pilastered wooden doorcase with fluted
pilasters and keystone beneath triglyph frieze and panelled hood.
Door leads into a lofty Ground floor room possibly a former
schoolroom. (RCHM (1911)139: VCH (1914)80: Pevsner (1977)118:
RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3626529496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.