This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9356 / 51°56'8"N
Longitude: -0.0226 / 0°1'21"W
OS Eastings: 536038
OS Northings: 228194
OS Grid: TL360281
Mapcode National: GBR K92.M3F
Mapcode Global: VHGNX.KMF0
Entry Name: The Fox Public House
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101367
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159718
Location: Aspenden, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Aspenden
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Aspenden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 32NE ASPENDEN THE STREET
4/3 The Fox P. H.
(formerly listed as
22.2.67 Fox and Hounds P.H.)
House, now a P.H. Later C17, renovated in early C19 (auctioned
as The Fox Beershop, of long standing, in 1871-poster in bar).
Timber frame roughcast with weatherboarded apron at front and
steep pitched roof now slated. A 2-storeys, 3-cell, central-
chimney plan house facing N, with 2-storeys rear outshut under a
catslide roof, and a single-storey further outshut at SW under a
continuation of catslide. Long single-storey weatherboarded and
red pantiled range of former stabling at W end projecting far to
front. W external gable chimney to unheated W room added in C18.
Front has 3 windows to each floor and a small window in front of
the central chimney. 2 doors. 2-light Yorkshire sliding
casements with small panes on both floors at E end on ground
floor at W. 3-and 2-light flush casements elsewhere 6-panel
raised and fielded RH door with a flat hood on shaped brackets,
4-panel flush-beaded door on LH in moulded architrave and gabled
timber porch. Interior has exposed timbers, axial beams in
parlour (E) and hall, but axial joists in narrow W room, now
thrown into bar. 2 large open fireplaces in narrow bricks
with timber lintols and stepped-headed niches in each.
Accommodation described in 1871 as 'Parlour, taproom, kitchen,
storeroom, cellar, and 4 bedrooms'.
Listing NGR: TL3603828194
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings