History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The United Reformed Church (Christchurch) with Hall Attached on North

A Grade II Listed Building in Buntingford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9468 / 51°56'48"N

Longitude: -0.0204 / 0°1'13"W

OS Eastings: 536158

OS Northings: 229441

OS Grid: TL361294

Mapcode National: GBR K8W.TZF

Mapcode Global: VHGNX.LBLF

Entry Name: The United Reformed Church (Christchurch) with Hall Attached on North

Listing Date: 6 July 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159729

Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buntingford

Built-Up Area: Buntingford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD BALDOCK ROAD
(north side)

7/73 The United Reformed Church
(Christchurch) with Hall
- attached on N

GV II


Chapel (Congregational) and hall adjoining, now a church. 1819.
White gault brick with slate roofs. A large chapel with gabled S
front to road, a lower hall across the N end entered from lane at
W, and single-storey vestry set back at NE with a burial ground
before it. Triumphal arch design to front. Double width central
arch containing round headed 1st floor window above recessed
triple doorway. Square headed windows to side bays with flat
gauged arches and recessed sashes with 8/8 panes. 6-panel doors,
raised and fielded but bottom panels flush-headed, in
corresponding panelled reveals. Doors separated by pilasters
supporting a full entablature. Blind side recesses with notice
boards. Cast iron lozenge and circle decoration to 2 pairs of
gate standards and spear-topped railings sweep up to raised
landing outside S doors. Triple-arched window over canopied door
to hall. (Kelly (1914) 74).


Listing NGR: TL3615729441

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.