History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin (Church of England)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aston, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8876 / 51°53'15"N

Longitude: -0.1536 / 0°9'13"W

OS Eastings: 527167

OS Northings: 222614

OS Grid: TL271226

Mapcode National: GBR J84.PYT

Mapcode Global: VHGP1.9T4B

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin (Church of England)

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101433

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159564

Location: Aston, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Aston

Built-Up Area: Aston

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aston

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

Aston village
TL 2722 ASTON BROADWATER LANE
(north side)

12/3 Parish Church of St Mary
the Virgin (C of E)

24.11.66

GV II*

Parish church. Nave and chancel c1230, W tower late C14 or early
C15, low pitched timber roofs and new windows late C15,
restoration and N aisle 1850; general restoration, N vestry and S
porch rebuilt 1883 by W O Milne of London. Alabaster reredos with
mosaic panels also by Milne 1896. Flint rubble with rough
plastered finish and corbelled brick crenellated parapet to tower
with stone dressings and tiled buttress offsets. Knapped flint
uncoursed facing to rest of church with stone dressings and
flushwork chequer of stone and flint on porch. Copper low
pitched roof to chancel - similar behind nave's crenellated
parapet. Lead roof and spike with vane on tower. Slate roof to
NE vestry. A picturesque irregular church with 2-bay low
chancel, taller 3-bay nave with 3-bay arcade and N aisle, square
2-stage tower with large diagonal buttresses each with 5 tiled
offsets, gabled S porch and gabled NE vestry with chimney and
organ chamber. Spacious interior. Chancel has 2-bay arched-
braced oak roof with ridge and one purlin to each slope which
have a boss at their junction with a secondary principal at mid-
bay. Rear-arch and jamb stones of lancet window recorded in N
wall. Double trefoil-headed C13 piscina near alter on S. 2 C16
windows in S wall flanking a blocked small C19 pointed doorway
visible outside. Carved and panelled oak choirstalls c1886 from
St Mary's Lambeth installed 1973. C19 E window. C16 chancel
arch with half-octagonal section and fluted mouldings and
capitals. Oak screen c1520 with side panels and central opening.
Blind tracery panels fixed to lower part. Nave has a 3-bay roof
with cranked tie-beams, 4-centred arched braces springing from
moulded wall-posts on carved stone head-corbels. Carved bosses
at junctions of ridge and purlins with secondary principals.
Octagonal oak pulpit later Cl7 with mitred planted mouldings and
arabesque frieze around top. Correct C13 style tall N arcade with
pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, and circular pillars with
moulded caps. ¾ pillars as imposts. Good figure brass in
central aisle before chancel arch, 1592 to John Kent and wife. 2
S windows C19 of 2-lights with tracery in heads. 3 2-light
windows to N aisle and 2-light windows at E and W. Tall 4-
centred arch into tower with caps to jamb shafts. 3-light W
window has tracery renewed. Pointed W doorway has continuous
deeply moulded jambs without caps, intersected by plinth moulding
on exterior of tower. Pointed louvred bell openings with clock
face below. Bells recast after fire in 1958. Stained glass by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne, E window (1896), chancel SW (1883) N
aisle E (1897). (RCHM (1911) 41-2: VCH (1912) 57-8: Kelly (1914)
26: Pevsner (1977) 78: Eileen Watson The Church of St Mary Aston
1981).


Listing NGR: TL2716722614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.