History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chells Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stevenage, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9118 / 51°54'42"N

Longitude: -0.1598 / 0°9'35"W

OS Eastings: 526670

OS Northings: 225295

OS Grid: TL266252

Mapcode National: GBR J7Y.2DM

Mapcode Global: VHGP1.56VR

Entry Name: Chells Manor

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Last Amended: 31 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159567

Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: Stevenage

Town: Stevenage

Electoral Ward/Division: Manor

Built-Up Area: Stevenage

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stevenage St Hugh and St John Chells

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

TL 22 NE ASTON CHELLS LANE
(north side)

1/17 Chells Manor
(formerly listed under
24.11.66 general)

- II*

Manor house, now house and office. Late C14 or early C15 for the
Wake family (VCH (1912) 144). Wings added to heightened open
hall house in C16 and Cl7. Altered in C19 and C20. Timber frame
on red brick sill. Roughcast on front (S) and W, but frame
exposed with large square panels at rear and E. Steep old red
tile roofs and red brick chimneys. A large H-plan, 2-storeys
house facing S. One and a half storeys Cl7 service wing to N of
W wing, roughcast but C18 red and black brick N gable with C19
projecting gable chimney. Cross-passage at W end of hall behind
inserted chimney, possibly replacing a timber framed hood in late
Cl9. 3-bay E wing has stair in narrower middle bay and double
jettied S gable has heavy corner brackets and double roll
moulding on bressumer. Double jettied, 3-bay, 2-storeys and
cellar, W crosswing slightly later, without brackets or bressumer
moulding, has similar narrower middle bay for a stair and
chamfered 1st floor doorway into upper floor over hall range
which by then must have been heightened and floored. Ovolo
moulded mullioned windows blocked in E side walls of W wing date
it to early Cl7. Large entrance doorway in E wall (blocked). 2-
bay service wing extending to N has a tall diamond mullioned W
window (altered and part blocked) and was originally open to the
roof. Entrance and passage moved to E end of hall and E wing
provided with new stair and new main entrance from E in early
C19. S entrance returned to old position and one at other end of
hall blocked in C20, with passage thrown into SE room. Imposing
S front with gabled wings jettied at 1st floor and attic levels,
and tall red brick panelled chimney rising through front slope of
roof of hall range near the W end. One window to W wing on each
floor and one over door into passage to W of chimney. Window to
hall and chamber over. 3-light mullioned flush windows with
leaded glazing and iron opening lights (2-light over porch).
Single flush box sash window to ground floor of E wing with 6/6
panes, to left of a central C19 painted brick S gable chimney
rising externally to disappear into the 1st floor jetty. 4 steps
to half-glazed panelled door under steep gabled hood on heavy cut
brackets. Formal 3 windows E front has flush box sash windows
with 8/8 panes and 6-panel middle door offset to N in heavy frame
with rectangular fanlight under a trellis porch with tented metal
roof. U-shaped rear elevation. Old Cl7 oak door to cross-
passage with ovolo chamfered battens and cut-in bullion light and
flat hood on shaped brackets. Casement windows and blocked
windows in wings. 2 casement windows to each floor on W.
Interior has brick paving in cross-passage and in cellar under
parlour at SW corner. Blocked doorway from passage into W stair
bay now with 2-light ogee moulded mullioned window with leaded
glazing, inserted. 2 chamfered but unstopped axial beams support
hall floor and early C20 Arts and Crafts inglenook in oak with
pewter plaques among tiles of fire surround. Similar artworkers
escutcheons and finger plates on doors elsewhere in house.
Exposed timberwork in upper floor of W wing appears as close
studding with straight tension braces. Clasped-purlin roofs.
Face-halved bladed scarf joint in E wallplate of W wing. 2-panel
doors with H hinges on 1st floor. Massive tie-beam over hall
(cut) just above level of window sill. (RCHM (1911) 214: RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL2667025295

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.