History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardeley Bury (700 Metres to West of Church)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ardeley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9274 / 51°55'38"N

Longitude: -0.109 / 0°6'32"W

OS Eastings: 530121

OS Northings: 227125

OS Grid: TL301271

Mapcode National: GBR K94.38C

Mapcode Global: VHGNW.2T79

Entry Name: Ardeley Bury (700 Metres to West of Church)

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159508

Location: Ardeley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ardeley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ardeley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3027 ARDELEY ARDELEY
(west side)

9/15 Ardeley Bury
(700m to W of church)

19.10.51

GV II*

Country house. Later C17 L-shaped brick house facing E of 2
builds on an ancient moated site, for the Chauncy family as
tenants of St Pauls Cathedral. Extended on S in late C18 to a
classical style U-shaped house facing S. Remodelled and extended
c1820 as a Gothick castellated mansion for Commissary-General
John Murray, facing E, with a new Great Hall to N of the
entrance. Plum brick, Portland stone and stucco dressings,
random limestone rubble round tower on S, old red tile roofs. An
irregular L-shaped house of 2 storeys and attics entered from E
with a tall single-storey Great Hall to right hand with 2 pointed
Y-tracery windows and a canted embattled bay window. Gabled
entrance bay with octagonal corner buttresses and finials, clock-
face in gable, and canted oriel over Tudor arched moulded doorway
flanked by narrow pointed windows. 2-storeys range to left with
canopied niche between 2-light upper windows, over tall 3-light
window. S-front has brick octagonal corner towers and central
stone round tower all with battlements and false machicolations.
The towers, the range to left of round tower, and the central
part of the range to the right all date from c1820. C17 square
kitchen block with coursed flint pebble facing at NW, formerly
separate and 2 large formerly external chimneys to C17 N-range
have tall octagonal shafts with mouldedJaps and bases. Lower
rooms in the C17, N and E ranges, with butt-purlin roof
structures. Remarkable Gothick Great Hall interior complete with
hammer-beam open roof, bay window, chimney piece, and minstrels'
gallery. Long rib-vaulted passage in plasterwork. Squared
stone floor with black marble dots. Late C17 style staircase
next the round tower dates from late C19. Panelled rooms of C18
and early C19. Heraldic cast iron fireback from Cromer Hall
(q.v.). (RCHM (1911) 36: VCH (1912) 195: Pevsner (1977) 73: RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3012127125

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.