History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caretakers Cottage and Stable Court, St Albans Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Nonington, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2265 / 51°13'35"N

Longitude: 1.2403 / 1°14'25"E

OS Eastings: 626341

OS Northings: 152470

OS Grid: TR263524

Mapcode National: GBR W0D.2D8

Mapcode Global: VHLGX.GF2L

Entry Name: Caretakers Cottage and Stable Court, St Albans Court

Listing Date: 2 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178024

Location: Nonington, Dover, Kent, CT15

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Nonington

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Goodnestone

Listing Text

NONINGTON ST. ALBANS COURT
TR 25 SE
3/163 Caretakers Cottage
and stable court
2.1.86 St.Albans court
GV II
Caretakers cottage. Circa 1875. George Devey. Ragstone ground floor and brick
diapered upper floor with limestone dressings. Two storeys with moulded brick
eaves to pyramidal roof with weather vane. Mullioned windows. S.W. elevation
with 2 light stone mullioned window withdripstone above and below, asymmetrically
placed.N.W.elevation with a similar first floor window to north of junction
with stable archway. N.E. or entrance elevation with similar 2 light window
above and four centred arched doorway below. Single storey wing adjoining to
left with 2 light window to left and C20 window set below to right. Higher
wing at right angles to N.E.with brick gable. Archway,also by Devey.Stone
and brick with machicolation and parapet,wide moulded four centred arch of
stone with dripstone in centre, flanked by narrow moulded stone archway on S
S.E. adjoining cottage and flanked to right by flight of stairs leading to
shaped gable with clock face dated 1775, the gable the remains of original
stable court of c. 1721. Arcaded single storey C19 stable ranges to west
(right) with recessed entry in re-entrant angle, and projecting stack to right,
converted to use as art studios. Attached to rear of courtyard (south west)
a brick wall originally enclosing a walled garden, with classical gateway,of
stone with red brick piers and scrolled pediment with wrought iron gate and
dated 1869, the wall extending beyond in part of C16 or C17 date.


Listing NGR: TR2630052400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.