History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamberhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1003 / 51°6'0"N

Longitude: 0.3918 / 0°23'30"E

OS Eastings: 567561

OS Northings: 136160

OS Grid: TQ675361

Mapcode National: GBR NRN.XJG

Mapcode Global: VHJN3.RL0X

Entry Name: Victoria House

Listing Date: 20 October 1954

Last Amended: 10 October 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101502

English Heritage Legacy ID: 170077

Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Lamberhurst

Built-Up Area: Lamberhurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Lamberhurst

Listing Text

LAMBERHURST THE BROADWAY
TQ 6636-6736
(west side)
8/240 Victoria House
(formerly listed as
Victoria House, and
20.10.54
Premises on the S.W. of
Victoria House)
GV II

House, now house and shops. C16, extended C17 and altered and clad 1721. Timber
framed and clad with painted brick and painted ornamental tile hanging, with plain
hung tiles to right return and exposed small panel frame with painted brick infill
to rear wing with tile hung first floor. Plain tiled roofs. Lobby entry plan main
block extended to left and to rear. Main range of 2 storeys on plinth with quoins
and parapet to roof gabled to right and with stack to centre left. Four segmentally
headed openings on first floor, with two 3 light wooden casements, and 2 light
casement to right and blank space to centre left containing a small finialed
aedicule inscribed:
I.F.
1721
Ground floor with 2 segmentally headed casements, 3 light to centre right brought
down to plinth and now a shop window, and 2 light to right with flying cornice over
(similar cornice over central window obscured by shop sign). Half glazed door to
centre left with large flat hood on brackets and pilasters. Left hand of ground
floor taken up by late C19 shop front with plate bays and central glazed door under
single fascia on pilasters with pedimented pilaster brackets. Similar and larger
shop front (to same shop) extends over left hand extension, canted slightly
toroadside and of 2 storeys and attic with half hipped roof and hipped dormer and
3 light casement on first floor. Gabled rear wing of 2 storeys with end stack and
with some exposed framing. Interior: the ground floor room to right of the main
entrance, now a butchers shop, was clearly a principal room of the old house, with
finely and extensively moulded cross beamed ceiling and bresummer, large blocked
fireplace and clear evidence of jetty to front elevation.Left hand wing also with
moulded ceiling beams.


Listing NGR: TQ6756136160

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.