This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6149 / 51°36'53"N
Longitude: -0.4079 / 0°24'28"W
OS Eastings: 510331
OS Northings: 191878
OS Grid: TQ103918
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.XGX
Mapcode Global: VHFSS.WN7V
Entry Name: Admiralty House
Listing Date: 3 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158993
Location: Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, HA6
District: Three Rivers
Town: Three Rivers
Electoral Ward/Division: Moor Park & Eastbury
Built-Up Area: Northwood
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Emmanuel Northwood
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 19 SW WATFORD RURAL WATFORD ROAD
10/348 Admiralty House
House. c1898-1901, extended 1906. By M. Macartney for a Dutch patron. Red brick.
Tiled roof. Domestic Revival/Queen Anne Style with informal entrance front and formal
garden front. 2 storeys and attic. 4 bay block to right on entrance front, left
half of which projects slightly with entrance. Door recessed behind a round arch to a
groin vaulted bay. To right of entrance on ground floor a lunette. A moulded string
course separates storeys. 2 first floor oculi with key blocks and gauged brick
surrounds. Quoined return angles. Mutuled deep eaves. Hipped roof. 2 bays to right
have white timber mullion and transom casements with moulded and gauged brick flat
arched heads. An extruded stack between these 2 bays has a panelled shaft and over-
sailing cap. Plinth. Plat band. To left of entrance block and set well back 4
bays with similar casements and 1 hipped dormer to left. Further left is service
range with 2 tall 6 light stair windows. Stacks with oversailing caps. Outshuts
with hipped roofs, 1 with a large lunette window. Right return from front: ground
floor round headed window with Doric pilaster mullions, decoratively leaded windows,
keyed surround, first floor 8 light casement. Garden front: symmetrical 7 bays,
canted bay to centre with brick quoining and central French window, casements else-
where, key blocked heads on ground floor, moulded lintels on first floor. Plinth.
Plat band. 4 hipped dormers. End stacks with panelled shafts and oversailing caps.
Set back to left: ground floor round headed French window as on right return.
2 first floor cross casements. Set back to right: 3 bays of service wing. Interior:
2 bay groin vaulted entrance hall. A good Neo-Georgian plasterceiling. Vase balusters
and moulded handrail on stair. Formerly known as Frithwood House. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1033191878
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings