This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6355 / 51°38'7"N
Longitude: -0.3807 / 0°22'50"W
OS Eastings: 512159
OS Northings: 194209
OS Grid: TQ121942
Mapcode National: GBR 49.QNX
Mapcode Global: VHFST.C521
Entry Name: Oxhey Grange
Listing Date: 3 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158988
Location: Watford Rural, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD19
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Watford Rural
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxhey St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 SW WATFORD RURAL OXHEY LANE
10/343 Oxhey Grange
Large house. 1876 by W. Young for W.T. Eley. Extended and altered 1908.
Stock brick with red brick and stone dressings. Tiled roofs. High
Victorian Gothic Style. Irregular plan, entrance moved in 1908. 2 storeys
and attics. Original front to right of present entrance is 3 bays. Left
former entrance bay projects. Plinth. Red brick quoins. First floor 8
light timber mullion and transom oriel with plasterwork on coved base
and eaves, foliate ornament, date and initials. Hipped roof. Central bay
has 2 tall ground floor and 2 small first floor casements in gauged and
moulded red brick surrounds. Right bay: 3 ground floor tall casements,
first floor 6 light stained glass timber mullion and transom window,
chamfered jambs and quadruple pointed relieving arch with a timber
balconette. Large gable with decorative tile-hanging and bargeboards.
Right return is garden front with step back at return angle. 2 blocks to
garden, that to left has a semi-circular turret with ground floor French
windows and flanking tall casements. First floor oversails on decorative
brick courses, stone course at sill level to similar windows. Brick
diapering. Coved eaves with decorative plasterwork as at front to
trumpet spire with leaded finial. To left of turret, 2 ground floor
windows, initialled plaque on first floor. 4 light stained glass window
in return wall from left block to right block, set well back. Central
entrance with slightly cambered head, moulded red brick surround.
Projecting to right on ground floor is a large canted bay with 36 light
ovolo moulded stone mullion and transom windows, leaded panes. Stone
coped parapet with ramped up merlons. Further right a canted bay
projects with cross windows. 3 small bargeboarded gables to octagonal
turret roof with finial. To rear a separately roofed block. 2 storey
projecting canted bay to right with cross windows, hipped roof. Red
brick diapering and quoins. Ground floor timber verandah. Left return
from original entrance, ground floor altered in 1908 with stone mullion
and transom window in canted bay with date and initials. First floor 4
light window in a projecting bay with a tile hung gable and a panel with
earlier date and initials. Set back to left and extending out is long
1908 entrance addition. Massive Neo-Tudor ashlar porch: round arch, key
blocked and moulded to recessed entrance, repositioned plank and muntin
door has date 1736. Moulded square head to surround. Engaged Doric order
to raised parapet with carved relief to centre, putti, fortifications
and motto, 2 lion finials and scrolled ends. To right red brick base,
stone surrounds to 1 and 3 light windows. To left a Doric loggia,
tetrastyle in antis. Behind 1908 addition on original block is C20
basement, ground floor 4 light window with stone surround. First floor 6
light stained glass stair window with ovolo moulded stone surround.
Bargeboarded dormer. Interior: 1908 entrance hall panelled and top-lit.
Hall to garden has stone columns, shallow timber arches and repositioned
angel corbels. Drawing room Neo-Classical plaster ceiling and
chimneypiece. Dog-leg stair with barley sugar balusters, carved newel
posts. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1215994209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings