This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.815 / 51°48'53"N
Longitude: 0.1516 / 0°9'5"E
OS Eastings: 548412
OS Northings: 215116
OS Grid: TL484151
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.35B
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.LN10
Entry Name: 15 and 17, Station Road
Listing Date: 24 July 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160859
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
Nos 15 and 17
TL 4841 1510:1/10 24.7.75
C16. Long timberframed house subdivided. Medieval plan with parlour and
hall (No 15), service rooms and early C18 lower brick rear wing (No 17).
Large chimney and floor probably inserted in hall in C17. C18 stack added
to E gable. C19 slate roofed lean-to behind No 15. Steep old tile roof
gabled. 4 bay clasped purlin construction with wind braces. 2 storeys. 3
windows on each floor. 2 doors between windows. W gable weatherboard.
E gable modern pargetting on timber frame. Front roughcast painted. Early
C18,3 light mullioned windows with central casement. Plate casements on
1st floor with rectangular leaded glazing to No 15. Wooden casements to
Gd floor. Plank doors, that to No 15 with shelf over on shaped brackets.
Red brick rear wing in Flemish bond with plinth, small leaded window and
central stack. Between house and stack 1½ storeys over deep cellar. 4
light dormer on W side with raking roof. Beyond stack a kitchen open to
roof until c.1950. Interior of No 15 has old oak plank doors with
blacksmith made hinges on both floors, a fine, early C18, corner cupboard
in NW corner of parlour, chamfered axial beams and cross beams (cased
in parlour), and moulded C18 wooden fire surround in parlour. Inside No
17, axial beam has evidence of partition between former pantry and buttery.
Heavy shaped post in rear wall possibly part of original rear doorway.
Curved tension brace in rear wall on 1st floor and blocked window. Named
'SPRINGHAMS' in deeds.
Listing NGR: TL4841215116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings