History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Landguard on Hillside to South, Drive Beside Number 90

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8143 / 51°48'51"N

Longitude: 0.1535 / 0°9'12"E

OS Eastings: 548540

OS Northings: 215044

OS Grid: TL485150

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.9LQ

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.LNZJ

Entry Name: Landguard on Hillside to South, Drive Beside Number 90

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160870

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

STATION ROAD
1.
5253
(South Side)

Landguard
(on hillside to
S, drive beside
No 90)
TL 4854 1504:2/6
II
2.
C18 remodelled as a Regency cottage ornée in early C19. Stucco with steep
slate roof. Entrance front on N. 2 storey, 3 windows. Central sash
window over porch has 6/6 panes. Flanked by sash windows with 10/10 panes.
All 1st floor windows have cast iron anthemion and basketwork plant holders
to cills. Enclosed gabled porch with scalloped slates, leaded light
lancets, Gothic pierced bargeboard, and flanking the door on applied
trellis with spearhead pilasters. E end facing approach has faceted
hipped roof. Faceted bay with 8/8 panes in sash on 1st floor. Below, a
3 light semicircular pilastrade with 3 glazed openings and continuous
curving entablature. Centre opening has French doors. Adjacent along S
front a lean-to vine house or conservatory. Higher tower at NW corner with
3 sided oriel with scalloped tile roof on E face. The house of Thomas
Rivers in the first half of the C19 when Bonks Hill became house of Thomas
Rivers junior. Named 'Hamptons' on OS 25" 1879.


Listing NGR: TL4854015044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.