This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.812 / 51°48'43"N
Longitude: 0.1522 / 0°9'7"E
OS Eastings: 548460
OS Northings: 214785
OS Grid: TL484147
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.99P
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.LQB9
Entry Name: Mann Memorial Almshouses
Listing Date: 2 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160878
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
Mann Memorial Almshouses
(Nos 1, 2 and 3)
TL 4846 1478:3/65
1901-2 erected by Mrs Mann of Hyde Hall (Kelly's directory 1914), as a
memorial to her husband. Gables have plaques with 'HEM' '1899'. Single
storey facing into churchyard. Tudor Gothic style in knapped flint walling
with stone dressings and gabled slate roofs. Symmetrical E front with
recessed centre and flanking gabled wings. Parapet interrupted by higher
central gable with kneelers and upright oval panel carved with fishing rod,
2 barbed hooks, a float and a fish. Moulded stone quoins, drip moulds, 2,
2 light, mullioned and transomed windows to centre, canted 4 light oriel
window to front of each wing, and bases and caps to tall chimneys. Lean-to
slate and timber open porches in angles and similar central porch each on
low masonry piers with flint set flush with stone quoins and coping.
Plank doors with pointed arched openings. Similar drip mould and cross
windows to N and S flanks. Outbuildings to rear around yard covered by
glass and iron roof. Red brick wall and gate piers to Vantorts Road with
moulded terra cotta copings. Low wall to churchyard boundary of stone and
flint formerly carried railings. An elaborate small almshouse and part of
group with parish church.
Listing NGR: TL4844814798
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings