This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8136 / 51°48'48"N
Longitude: 0.1478 / 0°8'52"E
OS Eastings: 548150
OS Northings: 214956
OS Grid: TL481149
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.85T
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.HPZ1
Entry Name: Groves House
Listing Date: 14 January 1980
Last Amended: 2 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160805
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
as Grove House)
TL 4815 1495:3/1 14.1.80
C17, early C18 external details, C19 parallel rear extension. 2 storeys,
cellar and attics. Timber frame plastered. N gable rebuilt in brick
incorporating earlier internal gable chimney. Lateral stack at rear SE.
Steep old red tile gabled roof. C19 parallel rear wing in brick with slate
roof and ornate ci rainwater head to N end of valley gutter with 'IH 1851'.
Symmetrical 3 window and central door W facade but larger area of wall to
N end to allow for large hearth. Plinth, large cove to eaves returned
before corner. 3 light mullioned wood casement windows with central iron
opening lights. Rectangular leaded glazing. 6 panel door, top 2 glazed,
heavy frame with architrave. Bold shaped brackets support moulded flat
hood. House with workshops adjacent of coachbuilder Samuel Patmore Groves
(executor in will of 1828). An interesting survival in a developing
Listing NGR: TL4815014956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings