History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, Cambridge Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8156 / 51°48'56"N

Longitude: 0.1489 / 0°8'55"E

OS Eastings: 548218

OS Northings: 215180

OS Grid: TL482151

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.2GZ

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.JMKJ

Entry Name: 2, Cambridge Road

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160751

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

CAMBRIDGE ROAD
1.
5253
(East Side)
No 2
TL 4821 1517:1/1
II GV
2.
C18 linked complex formerly Walnut Tree Farm. House refronted and extended
in early C19 and linked by outbuildings to barn on E. Farmhouse fronts
pavement and is of brick with slate roof gabled. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Rear
lateral chimney to NE and internal gable chimney to S. Symmetrical stucco
front with parapet. Astylar composition with corner pilasters, plinth, cill
band to 1st floor, cornice and blocking course. Door surround of pilasters
and block cornice. Eared window surrounds with flat triangles over and also
keystones to Gd floor. Sash windows with vertical margin lights. Modern
door. C19 single storey yellow stock brick extension to S with slate roof
and late C19 shopfront inserted. Good example of urban farmhouse. Complex
shown on Tithe Map of 1839. C18, 5-bay timberframed barn weatherboarded over
brick base. Projecting bay to E reroofed. Elm timbers. Unusual hybrid roof
construction of collar and clasped purlin trusses with king posts with expanded
feet halved over collars. Curved braces from unjowled posts. Half-hipped
thatch roof replaced by corrugated asbestos about 1946. Now gabled but hip
structure remains. Modern wooden windows. Carved on a post 'J..... Burton
June 1812'.


Listing NGR: TL4821815180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.