History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sayesbury Manor Council Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.812 / 51°48'43"N

Longitude: 0.1489 / 0°8'56"E

OS Eastings: 548234

OS Northings: 214776

OS Grid: TL482147

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.8H5

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.JQL9

Entry Name: Sayesbury Manor Council Offices

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160739

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

BELL STREET
1.
5253
(South Side)
Sayesbury Manor
council offices
TL 4823 1477:3/29
II
2.
Circa 1780, possibly earlier house remodelled. Early C19, 1-bay extension
to W and extensive outbuildings to N. Set back beyond car park and
originally facing S. Carpenter's Gothic 2 storey timberframed and stuccoed
house with steep hipped roof now slated. Originally symmetrical 7-window
S front with gable chimneys, extended 1 bay to W in matching style. Flush
box sashes to 1st floor with 6/6 panes and label dripmoulds rising to blunt
point in centre. Uniform French windows to Gd floor are later. Flat
soffit to eaves overhang has alternately lion masks biting rings and smaller
lion masks. Early C19,6 panel central flush door with reeded mouldings
around panels. C18 decorative wooden Gothic porch with flat top. 2 free-
standing columns and 2 half columns at wall and full entablature. Columns
consist of 4 clustered colonnets with annulets projecting. Frieze of sunk
trefoils, tongued brackets, and a coved and arched cornice. Pattern derived
from Batty Langley's Gothic Architecture Restored and Improved of 1741.
Central stair with rooms each side. Rear half has lower 1st floor under
continuation of main roof with staircase expressed as a higher gabled central
feature on N. Columned porch on N probably added when this became entrance
front. Interior much altered. Panelled room at SE of Gd floor may be
original. Stair balustrade altered. A range of lower stuccoed timberframed
buildings with slate roofs runs N from the NE part of the house, described
in the deeds as domestic offices, archway, harness room, and stable, this
with its axis parallel with the house. Known as Roselands in the C19, the
name was changed to Hatters Croft in 1902 and to Sayesbury Manor in 1939
(EHDC Deeds). The Gothic porch is the most elaborate example of 4 in the
town.


Listing NGR: TL4823414776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.