History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables at Brayfordbury 220 Metres to West South West of Mansion

A Grade II Listed Building in Bayford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7767 / 51°46'36"N

Longitude: -0.0972 / 0°5'50"W

OS Eastings: 531369

OS Northings: 210387

OS Grid: TL313103

Mapcode National: GBR KBX.D8N

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.8LGT

Entry Name: Stables at Brayfordbury 220 Metres to West South West of Mansion

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 20 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160636

Location: Bayford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Bayford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bayford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bayford

Listing Text

TL 31 SW BAYFORD LOWER HATFIELD ROAD
(South side)

1/28 Stables at Bayfordbury
24.11.66 220M to WSW of mansion
(formerly listed as Stables at
GV Bayfordbury)

II

Stables. Circa 1812 for William Baker II MP probably to designs by
Francis Aldhouse when former stable pavillion was taken into domestic
use at Bayfordbury. White brick (actually shades of salmon and yellow),
uncoursed knapped flint panels in screen wall, and low-pitched hipped
roof of graduated slates. A square stone paved courtyard surrounded on
N, E and S by 2-storeys uniform buildings and on W by a 2M high wall
with 6 wide flint-panelled piers carried higher with stone copings and
wrought iron gate in narrow central entrance between 2 piers. W side of
E range has entrance carriageway at N, 4 pairs of double doors in
segmental arched recesses for coach/carriage houses, and round arched
entrance to stair to upper floor. 1st floor has central circular blind
recess and 3 recessed sash windows to each side with 8/8 panes. Round
arched recesses to N and S wings with small-panes windows and flush-bead
panelled doors to stables on N and stable cottages on S. More normal
fenestration for cottages on S side of S wing. Formal W front to rose
garden has flint panels in screen wall, large round headed recess
between corner pilasters to W ends of N and S ranges, and false 8/8
panes recessed sash windows central on 1st floor above. (Sources as for
Bayfordbury q.v.).


Listing NGR: TL3136910387

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.