History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Amwell Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7952 / 51°47'42"N

Longitude: -0.0135 / 0°0'48"W

OS Eastings: 537086

OS Northings: 212597

OS Grid: TL370125

Mapcode National: GBR KBT.HD5

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.Q46L

Entry Name: Amwell Grove

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101799

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355820

Location: Great Amwell, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Amwell

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text

GREAT AMWELL CAUTHERLY LANE
TL 3712 (west side)

Great Amwell village
2/7 Amwell Grove

4.12.51

GV II

1795-7 by Robert Mylne (1733-1811) for himself; heightened and
extended in early C19, rear (S) part c1900. Yellow brick with
stucco bands at sill level on 1st and 2nd floors. Hipped tiled
roofs. A tall 3-storeys and basement house with 2-storeys wings
set back, facing N. Symmetrical 3-windows N front with recessed
sash windows with 6/6 panes. 4-panel half-glazed door central
with projecting pedimented porch up steps with 2 Composite
columns. Originally of 2-storeys above the basement with single
storey wings set back, the upper stucco band with billet moulding
formerly marked a parapet which was swept up to single-flue
chimneys at each corner, for the bedrooms. This eccentric
feature has been disguised by the C19 heightening of main block
and wings. The addition of a 2-storeys canted bay in the E, a
rear extension over part of the service yard, internal
reorganisation and the addition of a rear conservatory enlarged
Mylne's very small house. Early in the present century the
conservatory has been replaced by a 2-storeys range with Greek
Doric portico in antis. (Country Life 30 September 1954 and 13
June 1952: Pevsner (1977) 150: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3708612597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.