This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9583 / 51°57'29"N
Longitude: -0.0249 / 0°1'29"W
OS Eastings: 535811
OS Northings: 230706
OS Grid: TL358307
Mapcode National: GBR K8W.0KJ
Mapcode Global: VHGNX.J16M
Entry Name: Corneybury
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160364
Location: Wyddial, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Wyddial
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 33 SE WYDDIAL ROYSTON ROAD (A10)
Manor house. Probably late C16 in origin, early C17 N front with wings
remodelled 1681 for Charles Crouch ('1681 CC' on rainwater heads), W
front remodelled in C18, and house renovated for William Butt in early
C19 (V & A Wallpaper Bk for 1826-29 has paper for Drawing Rm). Red brick
of differing periods with steep old red tile roofs. An irregular house
lying E-W with E shaped symmetrical formal N front of projecting porch
and flanking wings. 2 storeys and attics with lower part at SE. N front
has gables to projecting wings and central feature with moulded brick
gable parapets, oval attic windows in square frames, 3-light mullioned
and transomed windows. Leaded glazing with iron opening lights. Late C17
central Ionic porch with pediment and 6-panel door. Pedimented brick
aedicule (restored) above with statue of Juno. The front of the NW
gabled wing has been re-erected fronting a short extension to that wing
(prob in 1681) with a large chimney backing onto the window openings.
Parapeted and gabled contemporary W end altered in C18 by addition of a
2-storeys segmental brick bay window with segmental arched windows and
insertion of sash windows, deeper on Gd floor, but side windows there
altered to triple sashes in early C19. S front has 3 + 1 sash windows on
each floor with 6/6 panes, and round headed windows to low SE part
probably a former conservatory. (RCHM (1911) 245: VCH (1914), 114,
116-117: Pevsner (1977) 142: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3581130706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings