History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hormead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9518 / 51°57'6"N

Longitude: 0.0406 / 0°2'26"E

OS Eastings: 540333

OS Northings: 230111

OS Grid: TL403301

Mapcode National: GBR LB8.R28

Mapcode Global: VHHLD.N6BL

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Last Amended: 13 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160313

Location: Hormead, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hormead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Clavering

Listing Text

TL 4030 HORMEAD HORMEAD DANE
(North side)
Great Hormead

11/92 The Old Rectory
22.2.67

GV II*

Rectory, now a house. E part c.1500, W part early C17, C18 E end
extension demolished leaving fireplace outside, C20 rear service wing.
Timber frame on brick sill, plastered front but exposed close-studding
at W end with weatherboarded gable top. Steep old tiled-roof. A
2-storeys and attics, 3-cells, side-jettied house facing S with large
internal chimney a third from W end and E gable chimney. S front has 3
4-light flush lattice leaded casements to 1st floor and 2 rectangular
bay windows under the jetty with brick bases, 4-light leaded casements
with mullions and transoms. 4-light casement to E part and a 6-panel
door. Small 2-light window opposite chimney, probably in position of
former door. 4 tall grouped octagonal shafts to main chimney. 2 matching
shafts on E chimney. The E bay c.1500 is the crosswing, jettied to S, of
a former open hall to W, rebuilt in early C17 as a matching side-jettied
range with new axial roof overall, re-using soot-blackened rafters for
the open hall in its rear slope. The crosswing has close-studding,
curved tension braces, chamfered cross-beam, one of a pair of arched
braces, blocked doorway and indication of stair trap. Studding of E wall
of former hall has peg holes for the back and N back-end. The C17 part
to W has depressed 4-centred arched fireplaces in hall and chamber over,
moulded similar fireplaces to W parlour and chamber over, and moulded
and stopped beams. Mid C18 E chimney serves E room and former extension.
Lozenge-carved decoration to scratch moulded panelled screen beside
parlour fireplace with cockspur hinges on door. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL4033330111

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.