History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Judds

A Grade II Listed Building in Hormead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9511 / 51°57'4"N

Longitude: 0.0399 / 0°2'23"E

OS Eastings: 540287

OS Northings: 230036

OS Grid: TL402300

Mapcode National: GBR LB8.QWQ

Mapcode Global: VHHLD.M7Z3

Entry Name: Judds

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160326

Location: Hormead, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hormead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Clavering

Listing Text

TL 4030 HORMEAD HORMEAD DANE
(South side)
Great Hormead

11/105 Judds
22.2.67

GV II

House. W crosswing c.1500, hall range and rear wing late C16 or early
C17, renovated 1724 (date panel on plaster front). Timber frame on brick
sill, panelled fan pargetting and steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys
T-plan, 3-cells, internal chimney, lobby entry plan house facing N with
entrance moved to E, and 1 1/2 storeys rear wing with half-hipped roof. C18
gable chimney inserted in rear wing. 6 steps to C20 door on W end with
flat hood on posts. N front has jettied gabled crosswing on W with
curved braces to jetty. Small window beside chimney at junction with
wing at site of former door with diamond date plaque over. 2 windows to
left with a door between. 2- and 3-light flush casement windows. 6-panel
door with flat hood on shaped brackets. 2 bays of crosswing formerly
entered separately by twin doors from cross-passage on site of later
chimney. Mortices for partition in beam and heavy flat joists in wing.
Chimney originally heated hall only. Later fireplace for service end in
W wing. Rear wing of unusual construction. Curved tension braces in S
gable. 2 bays, with bar-stop to chamfer of cross-beam with ogee jowls on
posts. Head of each post linked to floor beam by heavy inclined strut to
avoid need for a tie-beam. In front range floor over hall carried on a
crossbeam, but an axial beam in E bay, suggesting possible stages in
flooring. Notable lack of heated rooms originally in a house of this
size. C19 main staircase in E part of main range may have replaced an
earlier one there. Andrew Judd recorded as owner in 1544. (RCHM
Typescript: Jackson (1983)16).


Listing NGR: TL4028730036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.