History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lychgate

A Grade II Listed Building in Anstey, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9764 / 51°58'34"N

Longitude: 0.0432 / 0°2'35"E

OS Eastings: 540431

OS Northings: 232850

OS Grid: TL404328

Mapcode National: GBR LB2.5Q7

Mapcode Global: VHHL6.PLP8

Entry Name: Lychgate

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101869

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160225

Location: Anstey, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Anstey

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Anstey

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Clavering

Listing Text

TL 4032 ANSTEY ANSTEY
(North side)

7/2 Lychgate
22.2.67

GV II

Lychgate incorporating a lockup. C15 or earlier, lockup enclosed in
flint and brick walls in 1831. Timber frame on red brick sill walls
uncoursed flint with grey brick quoins to lockup, and hipped old red
tile roof with gablets. A small, single-storey rectangular structure
facing S, open below except where the square lockup occupies the E
2/5ths, entered from N. 3 heavy chamfered square posts in line on the
central long axis support the rest of the structure. Arched knee-braces
in the head of the central opening, with a narrower W side-bay. The
posts stand on sill-beams aligned N-S with struts to the posts. A
longitudinal beam links the heads of the posts and carries 3 heavy
cross-ties braced from the posts. The single-framed collar rafter roof
stands on heavy wallplates carried on the crossties. The wallplate at
the NE corner has head mortice for a corner-post and brace, suggesting
that a timber-framed enclosure or lockup preceded the flint-walled one.
This has thick boards as a ceiling and a boarded door with barred
fanlight. In use as the parish cage up to the early C20. (RCHM (1911)35:
Pevsner (1977)72).


Listing NGR: TL4043132850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.