History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Widfordbury Farm and Widfordbury House on West of Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Widford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8232 / 51°49'23"N

Longitude: 0.0485 / 0°2'54"E

OS Eastings: 541280

OS Northings: 215826

OS Grid: TL412158

Mapcode National: GBR LCV.M3P

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.SFJP

Entry Name: Widfordbury Farm and Widfordbury House on West of Churchyard

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160043

Location: Widford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Widford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Widford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 4115 WIDFORD WARE ROAD
(north side)

5/1 Widfordbury Farm
and Widfordbury House
4.12.51 on W of churchyard

GV II


House, now 2 houses. Cl7 or earlier. Timberframed and roughcast
with brick casing to lower floor-at front. Steep old red tiled
gabled roofs. 2 storeys and cellar L-shaped house now divided
with 1 storey C18/C19 brick and tile kitchen extension on W. 4
windows main range (Widfordbury Farm) lies E-W facing S. Modern
casements and 2 storeys canted bay and tilehung apron. E wing
(Widfordbury House) is higher, hipped to N end, and has early C19
flush sash windows with 8/8 panes on S and W, moulded cusped
bargeboard and 4-panelled door with moulded architrave and flat
hood on shaped brackets, probable jetty on S end underbuilt in
colourwash brick. Large projecting side chimney to E wing.
Modern panelled door central under flat hood. Rear of main block
has a 2 storeys projecting brick gable with chimney and
floorband. Also lean-to extension with very tall buttress
chimney. Old doorway in E wall of E wing at cellar level
reported by RCHM (1911) 241. Widfordbury is the manorial centre
owned by Bermondsey Abbey up to the Dissolution and was leased to
the Adam family in 1548 as a farm (HLHS (1979) 30). An historic
timberframed house at the manorial centre. Part of a picturesque
group with its farm buildings and the church in this part of the
Conservation Area. An important landscape feature with the
church when viewed across the Ash Valley from the N.


Listing NGR: TL4128015826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.